A confirmation alert

Rbreb13

Heres a decent rant I found: http://mpt.phrasewise.com/2003/03/09#a476 dealing with Winbloz confirmation boxes. I really do agree with the guy. I mean why can't Winbloz decide for itself whats best. It's "supposed" to be the most user friendly OS ever.

More of the same, but this time file copying.

http://mackido.com/Interface/Copy.html

Makes some valid points for sure! I've never used a Mac but they seem to have the UI down a little better compared to the vague and often misleading statements made by Winbloz!

Nice one, Rb. I haven't used a MAC for years. He makes some valid points. I really like the friggin' "yes", "yes to all" junk. It does get confusing.

My fav is the "cancel" which really doesn't cancel it just stops the copy where ever it happens to be. Then if you try to recopy you get the "yes" "yes to all" BS! LOL

Damn, I know. Then I don't remember if I want to say yes or no. Argh, a little bit of thought in the coding and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

• 5 months later...

And I quote...

"Naturally, answering a question is rather difficult if you haven’t read the question in the first place. And as Joel Spolsky says, “users can’t read anything, and if they could, they wouldn’t want to”. "

HaHaHa, that's the funniest (the S-word) I've read online in a while. But the sad part is it's true. I don't know how many times I'll be sitting in a lab with people that are so used to these types of messages that they hit [enter] or [space bar] before they even try to read the message. It's one of those sad yet true situations. Oh well, I think we're all guilty of it one time or another.

Sometimes you know the error is coming though, so you don't need to read the message, you already know what that little nagging screen is trying to tell you!

Very true Jimbowy.. I on a couple cases am guilty of prematurly clicking enter before I could possibly read the message. Although on more than one instance I've notived the size difference of the message and realized that it wasnt what i expected. :( :cry:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i think error messages are retarted... whats with error codes??? why the hell put them there in the first place??? just put the damned problem.

And windows xp, when you have a problem, send an error report.. the problem is always a "driver" WTF?

why don't they just say "Windows suxors, we know, it crashed, get over it."