Wireless trouble!?!

camaroguy1998

I've developed a problem with one of my comps on my wireless network.

I believe I am picking up a neighbors wireless network, Not sure though?

It started last week, I went to listen to some internet radio downstairs and I have no connection I look and its giving me an IP of 169.254.56.139 which is totally different from my network IPs. My network is 192.168.1.xxx. I have tried to force it back onto my network with only a small amount of success. Sometimes it will connect back to my router after a long period of time 20mins to an hour, sometimes it wont go back at all and after an hour or 2 it will be showing the other IP addy again!

Does any one have any ideas to what might be happening?

Up until recently I have not had a problem with this comp connecting at all.

At one point it had not been rebooted for 62 days and was still connected to my network!

Now I cant hardly get to connect at all, whats up with that?

And its just the one computer, my other computer and laptop are not giving me any trouble!

Edited by camaroguy1998

169.xxx.xxx.xxx is the ip windows will give when it can't get any ip address otherwise. It may be that your router's signal isn't reaching the pc mentioned. Or... it maybe that your router may need a simple power cycle. Mine has been going crazy lately too. It is time for a new one for me. I just don't want to shell out the money.

I would try power cycling your router before I modify anything. Has there been any changes recently?

169.xxx.xxx.xxx is the ip windows will give when it can't get any ip address otherwise. It may be that your router's signal isn't reaching the pc mentioned. Or... it maybe that your router may need a simple power cycle. Mine has been going crazy lately too. It is time for a new one for me. I just don't want to shell out the money.

I would try power cycling your router before I modify anything. Has there been any changes recently?

No Changes!

OK, I'll try that later today, since I'll be home from work!

I live near St. Louis and we got hit with 3" of ICE and then 3-5" of snow.

The area is a mess! :D No Worky for me!

Thanx Bruceleeon!

Edited by camaroguy1998

I took that bit of new knowledge you gave me(169.xxx.xxx.xxx) is a standard windows addy and went with that.

Earlier I said there were no changes, thats wasnt exactly true.

I moved the computer for our Thanksgiving dinner setup. It was only a cpl feet but I moved it!

I have moved the computer back and Its been a cpl hours and the connection hasnt dropped!

I'll be using it later tonight for some internet radio, if its still connected to my network that will convince me

the move was the problem the whole time!

Thanx Bruceleeon!

UPDATE: It is now 3:50am and no problems!

Thanx Again!

Edited by camaroguy1998

I was gonna suggest what DT said. Also, is your network secure? If so, you can force windows to only connect to secure networks. Since you dont have the code to the other secure network, it will only find yours.

I was gonna suggest what DT said. Also, is your network secure? If so, you can force windows to only connect to secure networks. Since you dont have the code to the other secure network, it will only find yours.

Thanx for following up, but what was happening was some interference. I moved the case back to where it was before and have not had a problem since!

What I thought was another network was windows itself. I did not know that windows would assign an IP address if it could not retrieve one from the router. Bruceleeons(Thanx Bruce) info on what the IP address was put me in the right direction and it was easy to figure out what was going from there!

Its been 4-5 days and no drops!

Thanx to everyone here for the help!