cat5e terminals

dougekewl

ok i just bought a rj-45 terminal crimper so that i can finish the wired network in my house (home builder terminaled the ends in the room with wall plugs but didn't finish anythign in the basement) after searching on the web how to properly crimp these things i found out that all my rooms were terminated using the T568A spec. and all my straight-through cables are using T568B spec.

all cables will run to a router/cable modem int he basement

is one spec better then the other? does it matter if it changes from one cable to the next? (ie comp -> wall using T568B on both ends and wall -> router using T568A on both ends)

i can take the wall jack apart and re-wire it to T568B if i need to it's just a pain in the rear

If it was me i would just cut the ends of my cables and change them to A since you have the crimper. I don't think you will have much luck mixing the two. Like you said you could pull the wall jacks out and change everything on that end but this can be a pain if you don't have a punchdown tool. Either way it shouldn't be much trouble to make the changes. i have worked on one network in the past that had both A and B and some other unknown to me wiring arrangment. It worked sometimes but they had a major stability issue so i changed it all to 568A and then things were fine.Good Luck!

thanks UVA!

what i think i will do for now is finish the lines in the basement with the Aspec (to match the wall jacks) and continue using my bseck interconect cables. if i fins the stability issues i can always make some A<=====>A cables by cutting apart a 50' cat5e cable i have laying around.... :)

getting the little wires lined up for a rj45 connector is a pain in the but with man-fingers!

ok so i just got all my re-wiring done and my cable modem + router moved ingto the basement... and 99% of it is working

i have one of the threedata lines coming from the basement into my office that just wants to be stubborn! i've re-crimped the basement end twice and rewired the modular jack in the office twice and i still cant get any signal through it.

anyone know of any tricks to find out if/where there might be a break in the line or if one of the ends still isn't connecting properly?

tyx

• 2 weeks later...

yeah... rewire it... LOL. Instead of snaking wire through your house, why didn't you consider an "N draft" wireless router? It seems that would be the easiest way to get decent speeds without work. I would say wire away if you were going gigabit, but not for 10/100 anymore.

Arghhh! I wish that I got to see this sooner!

Athough it matters very little, only rarely will you see TIA 586A standards used, and even then it will primarily be government contractors. Most everyone else in the world applies the TIA 586B standard for Ethernet cabling.

Making a cable TIA 586A on one end and TIA 586B on the other is how you make a crossover cable... FYI.

ya everything's wired up and running great....

one of my data lines is no good however.. :(

i've r-done both ends on it now and still can't get a signal to go through... i don't have any testing eqip either so i can't just test to see if theres a break in the line... :(