pre-ATX PSU

dougekewl

hey, i have a breadboard that i wired up from an old psu that i had... which just died.

in it's place i bought a cheepy PSU ($9.99 at memoryexpress) and i got it home and realixed after seeing that it had no 20 pin connector that this was a pre-AXT PSU

this will still deffinatly work for what i need (all i realy ever used was the +12 and ground and sometime +5, but it still sux to lose the +3.3

now my question is more a curiosity thing....

how the heck was this connected to a computor?

i see the standard molex/floppy connectors... then there is a 2 pin black,red 2x 6 pin conneters red,red,yellow,blue,black,black & red,red,red,white,black,black

the nice thing is this unit is turned on/off with a switch connected directly to the A/C (this is really nice for a unit the is now open to fingers..lol

Those were the older AT power supplies. They are great. They used two connections to the mobo that looked identical. They connected side by side too. If you have ever seen the keybaords that have a connection that looks like a MIDI connection, they were AT. AT was popular in the PRE 286 days. Back when processors were less than 25mhz.

My first PC was a 486 DX33, yeah.. I had the math co-processor. That was the difference betwen the SX and the DX

whats a floppy disk? ha ha

no seriously, the last time i used a floppy disk..... grade 6

lol I still remember working on computers for people with AT machines. I sold alot of new machines to those people though. They wanted to upgrad most of the time anyway and you just can't build an atx machine in an AT case so i sold them the whole thing. Those were some good days