Sign in to follow this  
Das Capitolin

Could you provide proof of purchase that you paid for your installation of Windows?

Could you provide proof of purchase that you paid for your installation of Windows?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Could you provide proof of purchase that you paid for your installation of Windows?

• Yes: I have proof of purchase.
    • No: I might have problems.

I am curious about this: how many of you would be in trouble if you were asked to show proof of purchase for your installation of Windows?

You should know that just having the original CD-ROM does not make your software legit, neither does having the certificate of authenticity. The BSA and Microsoft want you to have validated proof that you purchased your installation of Windows.

:P

I have proof somewhere but I just can't seem to find it.

An excerpt from a relevant article.

Microsoft to step up anti-piracy stance By ALLISON LINN, AP Business Writer

Wed Oct 4, 6:22 PM ET

SEATTLE - Microsoft Corp. is cracking down harder than ever on software piracy as it tries to boost profits, but some say the harsh repercussions facing people who use unlicensed versions of its new Windows Vista operating system could spur a backlash.

The world's largest software maker said Wednesday that people running an unlicensed copy of Vista that it believes is pirated will initially be denied access to some of the most anticipated features of the operating system. That includes Windows Aero, an improved graphics technology.

If a legitimate copy is not bought within 30 days, the system will curtail functionality much further by restricting users to just the Web browser for an hour at a time, said Thomas Lindeman, Microsoft senior product manager.

Under that scenario, a person could use the browser to surf the Web, access documents on the hard drive or log onto Web-based e-mail. But the user would not be able to directly open documents from the computer desktop or run other programs such as Outlook e-mail software, Lindeman said.

Microsoft said it won't stop a computer running pirated Vista software from working completely, and it will continue to deliver critical security updates.

To answer your question, yes I have proof of purchase for my Windows XP. I have no idea where it is though :unsure:

ha ha ya... and windows genuine advantage was suposed to be un-crackable to....

i spent all of 5 min on google to find this...

http://spacebag.googlepages.com/wga-notify-index

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/393

lol they even explain how to get rid of an already installed WGA...

An OS should be free, charge me a 1000 for office, no problem, but my OS should be free.

I have never saved a receipt in my life, nor will i start saving one for my OS "just in case" I have all my licences attached to all my pc's (i run cod of these things, they are legit!), If that isn't good enough for them, REDHAT here I come.

I am agreeing with Bruceleeon here. If I purchased the software and have the COA and the Proof of License...why should it matter? I mean, I own it. The people that need to worry are those that never purchased it that don't have the CD's, the COA or the sticker. IMHO...

Well, technically, we aren't "owners" of the software. We are just buying a license to use it. Read the EULA - BASTARDS!

So basically Windows has all these license key stuff and validation but all MicroSoft really wants is your credit card number, right? So why bother?

I think M$ should simply charge every human being for a license to use Windows... You can install it as often as you want, but you have your ID code printed on your birth certificate. :) And you use the same userid all your life. :)

You know... I think I'm scaring myself.

don't give M$ any more ideas!

i think M$ is just a psudoname for the borge collective... IMHO

It may be at sometime that we are scanning out prints to activate our copy of windows which is tied to us by our new microsoft ID replacing our current social security number. Each human will have a microsoft idendification barcode on the back of our necks and our prints will decide what we can do.

Whatever scary world-domination I may have, MicroSoft probably has had it first. :) They have a lot of employees who spend their days trying to come up with ideas to take over the world.

The latest one is an effort by Bill Gates to cure the world of poliomyelitis, was it? Or something. Anyways - stick some medecine in the person, but at the same time inject some MicroSoft-licensed genetically engineered virus in that person.

A couple of years later, ask for the license fees - and if the person doesn't pay, don't give them the antidote. :)

MicroSoft DNA. It's like an NDA or you're DOA.

(I really should go back to bed) :unsure:

I might be in trouble im not sure because I have a Dell computer that doesnt come with a reinstall CD....

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this