Does anyone else use Skype??

UVA

Ok me and bruceleeon have it , but do you?? Gman? If anyone wants my acct name is chamadog so look me up. Plus ou get free calls to lan line in the US and Canada until the end of the year.

if you have vonage, there is a way around that. Vonage has a wifi phone that you can use anywhere you have wireless internet. Linksys makes a travel wireless router! The two together can be a good combination for travelers.

I do use skype... Name is the same as my forum name.

Well, I already had a Skype capable USB phone, so it was no problem packing that with the laptop for trips. I originally bought some Skype Out credits so I could call home from Holland, Germany, Caribbean, or wherever without having to worry about local phone service / costs... Like 2 cents a minute or something, definitely worth it. I then bought the Skype In package to get a local number and voice mail, so people could reach me while overseas, too. Plus, I now use that as my business line, mostly for the voice mail, since I am not around to anser the phone all the time.

Edited by ~*77*~

I used to have it, but with the new2 install never reinstalled it. I'll try to get it back soon.

Yup - no one has ever commented on the sound quality, even when connected to a wireless laptop (Wireless B in some cases - 11 Mbps), and dialing from places like Germany to New Jersey. Some landline calls from Europe to home sound like crap, so I am pleased.

Only thing that gives it away is caller ID... Calls going out come up on the receiving end as something like 0012345678, even though I have a phone number... But that is just a loophole to avoid having to offer 911 or other things that would make it a true phone service.

K, finally got around to installing it. Contact name jsgolfman.

• 3 weeks later...

It has been forever since I used it. I think my name is drelo or drelo78.

• 2 weeks later...

I would use it, but no one is ever on it!

Yeah same here. Its a useful service, but I can never convince enough people to use it so that it replaces a land line. Too bad about that, but maybe one day the tables will be turned and Skype will become the next Verizon or vise versa. Until then its nice on the odd occasion. By the way, how often do you guys use Skype: once a week, once a month?

Same over here. Wish people would use it though, since it would definitely save some money on phone bills. You might have to make that up in nice equipment though, but I still view it as a better option.

Oh, and just thought I should mention one in a series of brand new Skype programmed Voip phones came out oin the last few days. Its actually a pretty cool concept: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/10/13/re...netgear_sph101/

Edited by ZhengHe