SLI video cards

UVA

I wanted to see what you guys thought about the new sli cards. Do you think you could really tell any difference from one $300.00 card and a machine with three or four of the same cards in it? To me it seems like one high end card is enough and once you hit a certain fr you aren't gona notice anything faster. I would also think that if you wanted rendering power for graphic design you would preffer one of these http://www.3dlabs.com/products/product.asp?prod=293 even over multi nvidias. Just my thoughts, what do you guys think?

• 4 years later...

I have to agree. I went out, all excited, and bought two BFG GTS250 cards. I'm currently running them in SLI mode. I'm yet to see anything that can't be done with one decent video card. I'm not sure that the shared processing power is worth the money....... yet. Remember, this is still a fairly new technology for the home PC. I think good things may be yet to come.

A lot will depend on the games you play, your resolution, and the amount of eye candy you are happy with. I am running a pair of GTX 470s in SLI on a 23" monitor and I can see a nice improvement in some games like Crysis, Metro, Far Cry 2, etc. Other games like Dragon Age, Batman A:A, Call of Duty, etc. that aren't as demanding don't see any improvement because the game would run fine with max settings on a single card.

I was running a pair of GTX260 cards in SLI for about 18mon, and the performance increase vs. a single GTX260 was definitely noticeable. Games like Metro2033 and Crysis were only playable on a single GTX260 at fairly low settings (1280x1024 or lower, game settings at low or med/low, no AA/AF, max 30-35fps), but with the SLI'ed cards, I could play at 1680x1050 with all other settings at Med or Med/High with 4xAA (Metro2033 is truly a graphical beast). I wasn't getting crazy frame rates, but at about 35-45fps, the games are playable. I have since upgraded to a single GTX570 which has improved performance 15%-50% across the board on everything from benches to gaming, plus the GTX570 supports DX11 where the GTX260 only supported DX10, so I now get all the tesselated goodness that DX11 can provide. Now I have to upgrade my display from a 20" (one of the very few that has 1680x1050) to a 22"-24" with full 1080p HD support.

I'm running my main rig on my 46" Samsung.

I'm poor! roflmao I can't afford a $400 monitor/TV right now... I just upgraded to the GTX570 ($350), and the next upgrade for the PC will be a 22-24" display. Besides, my PC and TV aren't even slightly close to each other, and I'm not going to move either one of 'em!

LOL

I'm poor! roflmao I can't afford a $400 monitor/TV right now... I just upgraded to the GTX570 ($350), and the next upgrade for the PC will be a 22-24" display. Besides, my PC and TV aren't even slightly close to each other, and I'm not going to move either one of 'em!

LOL

I justed picked up a new 46" LED tv and the thought of trying a little gaming on it has crossed my mind. I just haven't been motivated enough to haul my behemoth case across the house.