WIN2K Server

Bruceleeon

So I decided to go all out on my server and install windows 2000 server edition one day. That one day turned into a 2 week fiasco with the system hanging and all kinds of wierd crap going on. I tried everything from slipstreaming service pack 4 to formatting the system and reinstalling 5 times!! With no quick format option, that takes a bit of time. Everytime I did windows update the system would hang too!

The system is an athlon 64 with a gig of ram and a TON of hdd's. I don't know which I did that solved some of my problems so far. I obtained a new installation cd and slipstreamed that and installed ALL of the 40+ updates before I installed any drivers of any type other than ethernet. So far things look to be working fine, but I haven't installed the drivers for the nForce 4 yet. (KN1 Extreme).

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the installation of the WHQL Drivers doesn't cause any issues.

I also came across a neat little "END NOW" window that I have never seen before while rebooting after installing my WHQL nvidia graphics drivers. "You shouldn't see me" was the title. FINGERS CROSSED!

I will find out more tonight after I finish up with the driver installation and start messing around with active directory.

Will 2k even run with a 64 bit proc?

I thought all was well! I am going to integrate the nvidia drivers into the installation cd to see if that solves my problems. I am still locking up during updates, but only on one now. It locks up while checking for necessary disk space so I am guessing its the IDE/SATA drivers causing the issues.

Allrighty then! I have scrapped the 2000 server project on this system. It seems like it just doesn't want to cooperate! I have moved the server software over to an HP Server TC2100 (1.2 celeron). I hope it will have enough gusto to run the network. To its benefit, it will be a small network for now.

• 1 month later...

Ok! I have now moved everything over to my trusty p4 2.4 and my SiS chipset. Runnnnnning like a champ now! I guess this will end up being my system for a while until my MX370 is finished (compaq server) I just have to pick up 6 scsi hdd's for my raid. I just recieved my dual xeon 2.2's and the voltage regulators, but I am in need of some heatsinks for them and some registered ecc ram.

After that is completed i am going to demote my current server, slap 2003 on this sucker and see what I can get going.

Sounds cool. I wish I had time to devote to something like that. Maybe in a few months. I'm thinking of building a HTPC.