Hard drives?

Okay in my last comp I had a extra hard drive that I would store extra picks and things like that on.

But on this comp I have a diffrent wire set up. How do I hook up the extra hard drive?

My old hard drive used the flat wide wires and on the new one it is different. they are smaller and round.

I dont want to buy a new hard drive.

On the moby I have a slot for a flat wide wire but I dont want to go that route, Do they make a wire in the round but will link up to the wide flat set up?

And if so how do I go about setting every thing up?

On the old comp I did both hard drives at cable select.

On this set up would I run one master and one slave?

Could you please explain it in normal terms so that I might understand.

Does your new pc have SATA? That sounds like an SATA cable.

How do you check?

Make it easy, buy a external HDD enclosure with a USB connector and use it that way. Gives you the ability to put it on another computer as well...

SATA is a small "L" shapped connector instead of the IDE flat wire connector. they look like this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...694960&CatId=84

Edited by Old_Man

I have that hooked up know on the hdd that came with the comp but I need to hook up the old hdd and it does not have that same plug type it has the old one that is long and narrow.

that is why I said make it an external drive.

you can find that hardware here http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca....asp?CatId=1204

I don't know if you can hook up one SATA and one PATA drive - leave that to the experts... experts? GMAN???

I have a hard drive now with all my picks and some other stuff that I need to get off of there, and I dont want to spend any more money for a new hard drive that is why I want to hook up the old one.

Hmm, not sure we are communicating here... using it as an external harddrive IS hooking it up, just not inside the case. If you don't want to spend money on an enclosure for the harddrive you can always use this.. http://www.surpluscomputers.net/store/main...l&item=CRD10181 but I see they have a case and everything for $3 more at http://www.surpluscomputers.net/store/main...l&item=ACC10810

Unless you can hook up SATA and PATA together internally, I don't see that you have much of a choice.

Okay Old man I do understand you But what I am trying to say is without spending any money at all.

I was wondering if any one has ever run into this problem!

and then was still able to hook up an old hard drive to a newer comp that has all the latest gagetry and did not run into any problems after it was hooked up, or hooking it up.by using both sets of wires, one on the newer version of small round wires and then one on the old flat big wires.

Right now I would like to take the $500 dollars that I have too up grade my Video card and ram and buy some games that I would enjoy.

But if you have a diffrent solution too the game getting part then email me and we can work some thing out get my hint I hope.

BB, we need some pics mang. I'm trying to grasp what you are talking about but having a hard time. Are you sure that you dont have the right wires, just rounded cables? Do the cables look like this:http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/rounatcab.html, if so then you have the "old" ATA cables they are just rounded, hook em up just like you would the 'flat" ones. As for the vid card, if you dont wat to spend 3-4 hundred dollars like I suggested in the other thread you started, then check out Tigerdirect's deal here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&Tab=0&NoMapp=0

Okay on my new comp I have SATA cables and on my old comp I have IDE I was wondeing that since I now have SATA was there any way to hook up a IDE to a sata with out it costing me any more money.

On my mother board I have a IDE hook up but no wire conected to it and I was asking if any one has ever hooked up an IDE hard drive along with a SATA hard drive and if there were any complications.

I am trying to keep as much of my costs down so I can really up grade my Video card with the latest card so I would not have too do it again for some time.

So if any one has any cames or copies of games that they are selling I would like to buy I will. HINT HINT on the games part.

Ah, there should be no problem with hooking up your old hdd on the ide channel of your new PC. If you do have issues on startup, check your manual and see if there are any changes you need to make in your bios to make sure you PC uses your SATA hdd for startup instead of your PATA hdd. I do have some games I might be willing to part with. I will check what I have and let you know.

K roger that Gman and thanks.

K, here are some games I have you might want:

Rainbow Six

Rainbow Six: Mission Pack Eagle Watch

Need For Speed: Most Wanted

Quake 4

Doom 3

UT2K4

Tiger Woods 2004

How much you want for the top 2, Rainbow 6 and R-6 the mission.

Edited by [COD]Big_Balls

No, you can have all of them if you want. Just let me know.

Sending this weekend, you should have by Friday.

someone say Need for Speed MW and Tiger woods 2004 ? :D

NFS MW is the shizzle... I wan't to race all of you [email protected]!

I don't play.

Thanks Gman I will be waiting impaitently