The saga continues

Bruceleeon

Well, my adventures in computing keep getting better with my Asus A8n-SLI Deluxe. Over the weekend I decided that I would purchase another raptor and get a raid 0 setup running with to 10k hdds. Well, I ghosted my hdd to an image on another drive... added the second drive, built the array... THE IMAGE IS BAD!!! I LOST EVERYTHING! I can't believe how idiotic I am. I normally am very good about backing up certain irreplaceable things to my server but have been getting lax since the last clean install (4 months ago). So, I lost 4 months of data that I cannot replace!

Lets see if losing everything for this raid setup is going to be worth it... if I can get it to set up properly. So far my windows installation asks me to install on 1 of the 2 disks that are supposed to be 1 disk in RAID 0. Maybe a driver issue....

Edited by Bruceleeon

Wowsa, now that's what I call a headache.

Yep, it was a driver issue... apparently the disk created with the drivers wouldn't complete all the way. There are two required drivers to have the drives show up as raid, but only one was showing, so that was the only one I was installing.

Bummer, thats why I always test my images. With PQ DI7 theres an option to verify the image during creation. It adds a few minutes to the process but its worth it.

I have to tell you... this raid array is FAST. It kind of defeats the purpose of the name R.A.I.D though. (redundant array of inexpensive disks) This is more like a RAED (expensive). hdtach measured over 201 MB/s peak... thats fast! If you remember from the last hdd review... the sataII 3.0gb/s drives measured at 171.

Edited by Bruceleeon

yeah, thats pretty quick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...