WD Caviar SE16 SATA HDD - WD2500KS

Bruceleeon

Those of us who are always looking for the bigger, better and faster storage solutions have the end in sight. Lately, more and more SATA enhanced 3.0Gb/s drives are hitting the market. Western Digital isn't the only company offering solutions to those of us who aren't satisfied with second rate speeds, those of us with large home movies, and those of us who store everything we can find on a computer that sits in the corner with dust bunnies the size of basketballs. Enter the Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS hard drive.

Read More

• 3 months later...

Those of us who are always looking for the bigger, better and faster storage solutions have the end in sight. Lately, more and more SATA enhanced 3.0Gb/s drives are hitting the market. Western Digital isn't the only company offering solutions to those of us who aren't satisfied with second rate speeds, those of us with large home movies, and those of us who store everything we can find on a computer that sits in the corner with dust bunnies the size of basketballs. Enter the Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS hard drive.

Read More

Great review, I have to say, I'm more than happy with my drive as well. Further WD's customer service and product support is excellend (at least this is my experience).

One addition to your review, it is about the temperature, If you use the various programs which are around in order to read the temperature of this drive provided by the SMART feature of this drive, the reading is wrong, I have been in contact with WD's customer service abouth this problem and I have been told that my paticular drive has got a Firmware bug which gives you a wrong temperature reading. I also have been told a solution for it (in form of a downloadable upgrade?!) is in work.

I love these drives... Under 100 bucks and quick! So far, I still have no problems with the drives.

I am looking into purchasing 4 more of these suckers to add to my server.... Just have to justify the cost somehow. They offer a 320 version now that is only 30 bucks more. I might have to go that route.

Hi,

the same here, hence I got now 3 of them, gave it a "hammering" the other day (shifted files worth 100gig back and for), temp went up to an insane 68 degrees Centigrade according to the SMART temperature readout. Still got me a bit worried :o , but the HDD was still only slightly warm to the touch. I hope the Firmware upgrade will be available soon in order to rectify this. :)

I've had Seagate drives before (170MB :blink::D ), the were nice and quiet, with some install problems, bought later models with more capacity, but I found the noise was getting up as well as the problem with the installation increased (someone should think if you get two drives of the same make and model they should work together in harmony). Tried Maxtor, I've never heard a drive with so much noise, so I let this one be as well (it went back to the shop a few days later). So I tried Western Digital drives and knock wood, I haven't had any problems with them so far. I'm really amazed with this one, it is really wisper quiet, despite the 250Gig size.

But otherwise, these things with the noise and any other problems with drives, I guess they are down to each individuals experience. So I can only say, buy what you like best and had the best experience with, in my case it simply was and still is Western Digital... B)