Make files private

Bruceleeon

I did a good one. I was watching "It takes a thief" on the discovery channel and the thief downloaded some personal information off of this guys computer. I get it in my head that I need to do this. So, I go to my control panel, click users and create a password for my main account. The idiot in me took over and I allowed windows to "make my files private". This is all well and good, BUT I WANTED TO SHARE A FOLDER I CREATED ON MY DESKTOP!!! Now I CAN'T.

I search the internet and couldn't find a search string that would give me the answer i wanted... running out of patience, I was going to backup my documents and settings folder with my user accounts in it and start over. When, on a whim, i decided to click on my user name, and WHAM!!! It hit me. I unchecked "make my files private" from my user folder in documents and settings... and all is well.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

lol

You very funny man.

• 10 months later...

Lol, nice one. Glad it all turned out well though. I had a similiar program when I wound up encrypting half my hard drive and loosing the key. That would very hairy raising as well, although not a bad idea just bad implementation. Any of you guys do something similiar to that?

• 2 weeks later...

I right clicked a folder with pictures in it chose advance and then chose encrypt contents to secure data. It changes the colore of the icons so you know there encyrpted. I forgot i did it and burned the photo's to a cd and reinstalled windows. when i tried to acces the files they wouldnt open.

Theres a new software program called RingCube's MojoPac software. It creates a clean XP install within xp on an external drive. You can take that external drive or usb thumbdrive to your friends house and have access to all your stuff just like you werer on your home computer. I was thinking of creating an encrypted container using trucrypt and installing mojopac then I wouldnt have to worry to much if my computer was stolen.