Tracking changes

Rbreb13

Tracking changes

If you've worked on a shared worksheet, chances are you've wished you could follow a trail of cyber breadcrumbs around a worksheet and review all of the changes. Excel's Track Changes feature keeps an onscreen log of all changes that are made to a worksheet.

When you make an edit with track changes on, a small triangle appears in the top-left corner of any cell that is edited. Mouse over that cell and a small window showing the changes made will appear. When you deselect the Track Changes While Editing option to turn track changes off, the worksheet will no longer be shared, and the change history will be deleted.

To activate track changes, go to Tools | Track Changes and select Highlight Changes. When the Highlight Changes dialog box appears, you can set a number of parameters, including When, Who, and Where.

The When option lets you track all changes, changes made since the last save, changes not yet reviewed, or changes made since a certain date. The Who option lets you track changes made by everyone or by everyone but you. If you don't want to track changes made on the entire sheet, the Where option lets you select a particular range and Excel will track changes only in that range.

The Highlight Changes dialog box also has an option that lets you list saved changes in a separate sheet, which comes in handy when you're troubleshooting problems or reviewing the life cycle of your worksheet.

OMG, you should see some of the documents I get. I always have track changes on because I write/edit/review/approve SOP's and contracts. On some of them the changes are longer than the document itself and everyone uses a different color. It's like abstract art, lol.

OMG, you should see some of the documents I get. I always have track changes on because I write/edit/review/approve SOP's and contracts. On some of them the changes are longer than the document itself and everyone uses a different color. It's like abstract art, lol.
I wonder if Office ever runs out of colors?