Netopia 2280 Powerline Adapter

Old_Man

I had been using a D-LINK wireless network at my home. With the gaming I do and the distance between the router and my computer I had a problem with lag and droped connections. I just got these adapters... how do they work? Well I attched a lan cable from my router to the adapter and plugged it in the wall. I then plugged another adapter in upstairs near my computer and ran a lan cable to it. Poof, I'm on the internet. Yep, it uses the household wiring and runs the signal thru it. Wow, a great connection, great speed, and no wires to run!

Have you guys ever heard of or checked these out?

Heard of 'em. Never tried 'em though.

I had been using a D-LINK wireless network at my home. With the gaming I do and the distance between the router and my computer I had a problem with lag and droped connections. I just got these adapters... how do they work? Well I attched a lan cable from my router to the adapter and plugged it in the wall. I then plugged another adapter in upstairs near my computer and ran a lan cable to it. Poof, I'm on the internet. Yep, it uses the household wiring and runs the signal thru it. Wow, a great connection, great speed, and no wires to run!

Have you guys ever heard of or checked these out?

Nope, haven't tried them yet. A review would be nice though... hint hint!!

I tried 'em a while back when I was on dialup, suckaliscious. They may be ok for broadband, but they definitely do not work for dialup and gaming.

Ok, I have used them for a day and I'll tell you what I think!

Very easy to use. Plug them in and have instant 100mbs line. Very quick way to hook up a computer anywhere in the house. All you have to do is attach one unit to your router, then plug it into an electrical outlet; and then plug another unit in to any electrical outlet in the house and run a lan line between it and your computer and you have instant broadband without running new wires or a wireless connection. Each unit can handle 2 separate lines - so you can run 2 computers off of each remote port.

Each adapter is a box 2" x 3" x 1"deep. They have 2 prongs to be inserted into the electrical outlet and 2 RJ-45 connection ports. LEDs show power connection and ethernet connectivity. (I would like them better if the box itself didn't have to "hang" on the wall and there was a short extension cord (like a laptop power supply has) to attach it to the wall)

I used it while gaming last night and found my ping to be as good or better than it was. I usually ping a little higher than the hardlined computers when I was on wireless, but not so last night. I also had no drop outs or lock ups. The reason I was looking to an alternative to my wireless is that after many months of troubleshooting it came down to when I was playing Counter Strike:Source (CS:S) my computer would lock up randomly. I found after running a hard wire thru the house (my wife just loved having this thing strung from one side of the house to the other for a couple of weeks!) that my lock ups were a thing of the past. I knew then that these were being caused by my wireless connection.

Last night I was playing CS:S, running Team Speak, and X-Fire and had a great ping and no lock ups!!!

Problem: I have encountered one problem with the system. Enclosed in the box is a CD that has the manual and security program on it. The idea is that you can make this a secure network simular to the way you do with wireless by adding a password to the program. It comes with the default password and you can change it to your own password. Well the CDs that are supposed to have this info on them are blank. Still recordable according to my machine. I e-mailed Netopia who said: "we don't have anything like that". Interesting. I called my support man who also e-mailed Netopia and here is their response to him:

"Where did you pruchase these, and for what purpose? The Powerline was

distributed to several ISPs as a test device only.

I doubt that it will be useful to you in any way and suggest that you

contact the place of purchase and get a refund.

So, currently these do not exist and are not supportable because they would be of no use to me... haha. If I can I'll attach a photo of the adapter...

Now, THAT'S funny.

• 2 weeks later...

lol

hahaha

COOL!!! hehe.

Hey, I got the manual and security software from the supplier of the place I purchased it from. It all still seems to work great!