Sign in to follow this  
Rbreb13

Lose XP "New Program" Pop-Ups

Lose XP "New Program" Pop-Ups

Right-click on the taskbar, choose Properties, and click on the Start Menu tab. Make sure that Start menu is selected rather than Classic Start menu; click on the Customize button next to Start menu. Click on the Advanced tab, locate the box near the top titled Highlight newly installed programs, and uncheck it. Click on OK to accept the change.

For those who like to know such things, this feature is controlled by a value in the Registry, specifically the DWORD value Start_ NotifyNewApps in the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced. If it's set to 1 (the default), new applications will be highlighted in the Programs menu and the message balloon will appear. If it's set to 0, neither will happen.

Or you can use TweakUI that comes with XP Powertoys.

This is one of the things I do right off the bat, along with enabling the Administrative menus, clear type fonts, and expanding the control panel. There are many more, but those are just more tips for the future MUAHHAHAHHA.

This is one of the things I do right off the bat, along with enabling the Administrative menus, clear type fonts, and expanding the control panel.  There are many more, but those are just more tips for the future MUAHHAHAHHA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You and me both. Usually while Windows Update is doing its thing I'm adjusting all those settings.