Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rbreb13

Learn the (non) value of disabling QoS

Recommended Posts

Learn the (non) value of disabling QoS

Numerous Internet sites feature tips and tricks on the optimization of Windows XP, and most of them promise huge performance gains. However, a lot of optimization tricks actually do very little to improve performance.

For example, some sites recommend that you turn off the Quality of Service (QoS) RSVP feature because it supposedly reserves 20 percent of the network bandwidth. Turning off this service, they say, will improve network performance.

Unfortunately, disabling QoS RSVP doesn't do much. QoS isn't even used in most home networks; Microsoft enabled it by default on Windows XP Professional to make the deployment of QoS in enterprise environments a bit easier.

Are you still concerned about it reserving 20 percent of the network bandwidth? Don't be. This percentage refers to the bandwidth limit that can be used by QoS applications. It doesn't mean that your other applications will only be able to use the remaining 80 percent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disabled it, and instead of two programs being able to use the net, I could only use one, and couldn't download.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL, I left it enabled. As Rb said, it doesn't use any bandwidth except in certain occasions when you want it to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to disable it, back in the day... But, I haven't done so in the last year and a half or so.

I didn't see any difference in either circumstance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to disable it, back in the day... But, I haven't done so in the last year and a half or so.

I didn't see any difference in either circumstance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too. Until I read this that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...