Phone Numbers in Excel

Rbreb13

Phone Numbers in Excel

I'm trying to move a column of numbers that were derived by a formula into another column in phone number format. I started with 13 text digits in column A. In column B, I used the formula =LEFT(A2,10) to get the digits in 10-digit format. Now I need to get the numbers in telephone number format ((###) ###-####) in column C. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?

There are two easy ways, and you can quickly try them both. In C2, enter the formula =VALUE(B2) and copy it down the length of column B. Now highlight all of those cells, right-click, and select Format Cells. Choose Special from the Category list on the left-hand side of the window and choose Phone Number from the Type list on the right-hand side. You now have the data stored as 10-digit numbers but displayed as phone numbers.

You can also build a text string with the desired format. In cell D2, enter this formula: ="(" & LEFT(B2,3) & ") " & MID(B2,4,3) & "-" & RIGHT(B2,4). Copy the formula to all of column B. Columns C and D now look the same, but C holds formatted numbers and D contains the data in text form. Use whichever best suits your needs.