Sign in to follow this  
jsgolfman

Which one?

K, so with all the builds I have been doing lately I may be able to upgrade my video card a bit. I am torn between the X800 Pro, X800XT and 6800GT. I am leaning towrd the 6800GT because of the price. It is ~$375 whereas the X800XT is $500 and the X800 PRO is close to $400.

Plus, if you get the nvidia, you will be in the chair for some possible SLI gaming soon.

well you didn't specify PCI-E or Good ole AGP.

Anyways you slice it, ATI and nVidia both have their pros and cons.

nVidia always had (the S-word)ty 2d quality, and their implimentation of OpenGL, needs works. Not to mention They have had a few problems with certain games like Half Life 2, which yes, is a problem with Valve, but still a problem.

D3D on a nVidia card is solid. And having a pixel shader with a version higher than ATI is a plus.

on the other hand.

The ATI X850 Pro and XT has shown in some test to out perform ALL nVidia cards, including the 6600GT in SLI and in some small test, the 6800GT in SLI.

BUT, price is still an issue.

All comes down to who you like more, I personally like ATI, better openGL performance, Way better 2d.

But if you want to do SLI in the future, I suggest the 6800GT.

A disclaimer. When i say it out performs the 66 and 6800 in SLI, some test have shown it to have an edge over both cards. Doesn't mean anything really, as both of them are basically even.

Also note that with the release of the X850, it should be a matter or weeks, if not days, that the price of the X800 Pro and XT cards will drop dramatically in price. You could be able to grab a X800 XT PE for cheaper than 450. Sapphire Cards are not usually overpriced, also I believe that HiS makes a ATI X800 XT PE that is a great value.

Actually, it looks like I will be building 3 systems in the next few days so I should have about $600 to work with. The PE is looking nice as is the 6800 Ultra. Just need to make sure it's AGP adn VGA since my board isn't PCIe and my monitor isnt DVI.

Actually, it looks like I will be building 3 systems in the next few days so I should have about $600 to work with. The PE is looking nice as is the 6800 Ultra. Just need to make sure it's AGP adn VGA since my board isn't PCIe and my monitor isnt DVI.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't worry about the DVI, most come with the DVI to 15 pin D-Sub adapter.

So it will work with all monitors.

Hell I even got a DVI to D-Sub adapter with my 9800PRO.

I have this in my cart at Newegg, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-102-502&depa=1

Unless something changes my mind in the next week or so, I think I'll stick with ATI.

WOOHOO

Yeah, I figure after this upgrade I will be set for a while. Then it's on to SLI, lol.

That card is a beast.

I expect Full Benchmarks, and then for you to send it my way. :D

I am kind of upset with the combination of ATI and windows SP2. I would go for the nVidia.

I don't run SP2, it conflicts with my A64. It's kinda a tossup between ATI and Nvidia. Either way I go, I probably won't be able to tell a difference. I may end up with the 6800Ultra, I saw it on Tiger for $450. The X800XT (no PE) is also looking good. It's the same card as the PE only clocked lower. I'll let ya know how I go.

Edited by me 1-Apr-2005

Ok, I just ordered this one:

X800XT

It should be here Monday. I'll have some benchies Monday night. I went with this one because it's $100 cheaper than the PE and I can't justify $100 for the small clock increase. I chose it over the nvidia cause I play HL2 and games such as that seem to perform slightly better with the ATI chipset than nvidia.

My pleasure.

I just bought a PNY 6800 Ultra from PNY (refurb) for $260 shipped. Saw the deal over at OCforums. They're all out now though. They went really fast. I ordered mine and went back there 20 minutes later and they were all gone.l

Sweet, can't wait to see the comparisons for mine and yours. We should do some kind of joint review.

That would be a great idea..!! And when I am done building my system... I will smoke both of you .. MUAHAHHHAHA

Bring it.

That would be a great idea..!! And when I am done building my system... I will smoke both of you .. MUAHAHHHAHA

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol::lol::lol:

K, just got it installed w/latest drivers 5.3 cats. 3dmark2001se at default settings.

K, just got it installed w/latest drivers 5.3 cats. 3dmark2001se at default settings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
woohoo Bet that kicks ass from your previous scores.

Hell yes, my previous high score with the 9500 Pro was ~14k. I also did Aquamark. My previous best with it was ~31k.

what about 2003 ?

Here ya go

Tried a little overclocking. Score for 2001 at 520/560(PE level) was only 400-500 more. I cranked it up to 530/575 and it locked up on the third of fourth test. I think it has to do with the fact that its 80 in here today.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this