Dual Xeon Sweetness Unwrapped, The Asus PC-DL Delu

Bruceleeon

Here, I will be working with the Asus PC-DL Deluxe Revision 1.05. It's a Dual Xeon board based on the i875P Canterwood chipset. The i875P chipset was originally designed with the desktop market in mind but Asus has taken it a step further by putting it into a Dual Intel Xeon Workstation board. It supports 400/533 MHz FSB processors and DDR333 dual channel memory. It has multiple RAID options (ATA and SATA), CSA Gigabit LAN, 6 Channel AC'97 Audio and much more. For more information on the product and specifications you can go here.

Read More

Thanks man! I really enjoy doing this kinda stuff. And its for no other reason than "I can"!!

I'm not so sure about the movie thing though. I'll work on it. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work. Must have been fun to see it boot at the higher settings. When you get the chance to try the other mod, you will do an update to the article no?

Again, nice write up.

Yes I will update. Gonna try the VDIMM mod this weekend I hope. If I can figure it out. I'm a real maroon when it comes to electrical stuff. But as it stands right now the memory voltage is really holding me back. I can't believe Asus would put out such a crappy BIOS.

But just got a gig of PQI Turbo PC3200 2-2-2-5 to try in it.

Yes I will update. Gonna try the VDIMM mod this weekend I hope. If I can figure it out. I'm a real maroon when it comes to electrical stuff. But as it stands right now the memory voltage is really holding me back. I can't believe Asus would put out such a crappy BIOS.

But just got a gig of PQI Turbo PC3200 2-2-2-5 to try in it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm quite surprised, I'm used to the crappy limited bios of OEM's like Gateway and dell, i was happy when i saw the Bios on my asus P4P800 Deluxe. It's got every setting you can imagine for overclocking, and the AI features are a plus on this board. I'm surprised they'd do the same for that mobo. Maybe they'll update the Bios at a later date.. speaking of.. i gotta check to see if there is an update.

I doubt that they are going to release a more robust bios for a couple of reasons. Most people that are in the market for a dual xeon motherboard are most likely not going to be the avid overclocker. Besides... with the other options out there that Asus is developing/promoting, why would they focus on revisions to a board that probably isn't that popular among enthusiasts anyway.

I might be wrong... but i doubt it.

Theres already been several BIOS revisions and they haven't done anything for the lack of options. So I'm sure you're right.

Its just that the Asus website is so misleading with the description. It even says "AI Overclocking" and its nowhere to be seen.

Don't get me wrong though. I did my research and knew these options weren't there when I bought it.

Got the VDIMM mod done. Installed the PQI memory. Haven't tried anything other than my normal running speed of 13x200. Gained 300 points in Sandra Memory Bandwidth test! B)

post-4-1104632196_thumb.jpg

Got the VDIMM mod done. Installed the PQI memory. Haven't tried anything other than my normal running speed of 13x200. Gained 300 points in Sandra Memory Bandwidth test!  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sweet. B)

I used the mod to take the voltage up to 2.63 volts. Stock voltage for the PQI is 2.6. Stock voltage supplied by the mobo is about 2.47-2.5 volts.

I upped it just enough to get the proper voltage for the PQI Turbo RAM. I read Pijo's review of the RAM at SysCool and he got insane overclocks at stock voltage. I'll play with it some more over the next few days or so.

The RAM seems fine. Unfortunately I think I'm at my processors limits. I can't seem to get them past a 205 FSB with any stability. Still experimenting though.

The lower timings for the PQI stuff compared to the KingMax are nice to have though.

• 2 months later...

Bought some new peocessors. The old 1.6 lv's were a C1 stepping the new ones are 1.6 low voltage but a D1 stepping.

Redid the VDIMM mod to get 2.75 volts to the RAM. Set it at 2.5-3-3-6 while I'm playing with the CPU settings.

What I've got so far. Prime stable and 41xx/41xx Sandra Memory Bandwidth scores.

post-4-1109895820_thumb.jpg

post-4-1109895843_thumb.jpg

post-4-1109895872_thumb.jpg

Nice work RB. Can I have it now? :P

• 3 months later...

hello all,

can someone tell me which jumpers to change for getting fsb 133-165 on the asus pc dl dual xeon motherboard.presently it shows 100-132 on my 2.8 xeon.

thanks all

suj

Check out this page from the manual. It looks like the jumpers should be on jumpers 4-6.

post-5-1119548447_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rbreb13

hello all,

can someone tell me which jumpers to change for getting fsb 133-165 on the asus pc dl dual xeon motherboard.presently it shows 100-132 on my 2.8 xeon.

thanks all

suj

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look hereThis site has all the info on that and more. You may need to do a Vcore and VDimm mod to achieve the higher FSB, then again you may not have to. I doubt you'll be able to boot at 200 FSB though due to your high starting multiplier.

Another excellent resource is Dual Xeon User Forum. Use the search function or just browse the Start Here and OC forums.

Look hereThis site has all the info on that and more. You may need to do a Vcore and VDimm mod to achieve the higher FSB, then again you may not have to. I doubt you'll be able to boot at 200 FSB though due to your high starting multiplier.

Another excellent resource is Dual Xeon User Forum. Use the search function or just browse the Start Here and OC forums.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello All,

It may sound lame and am new to this physical mods on the asus pc dl board.My board runs on pair of 2.8 xeons (400 fsb) showing 100-132 and 13-28 in the multipliers.Do i have to do the physical mods on the cpu and socket to show the fsb as 133-165 or is it simply just jumpers.

Thanks again

suj

Just do the jumpers if you're not comfortable with the mods. It'll either work or it won't. It won't hurt anything, you might have to clear the CMOS and set the jumpers back.

Just be sure to set the lowest multi available in BIOS first. Then you can work on raising it afterwards. Also be sure you have at least the 1005 BIOS or newer, previous BIOS versions did not have a PCI/AGP lock, 1005 and after do. Also the lock doesn't work if you set the BIOS to 100 or 133 FSB but 101-etc and 134-etc do.

Just do the jumpers if you're not comfortable with the mods. It'll either work or it won't. It won't hurt anything, you might have to clear the CMOS and set the jumpers back.

Just be sure to set the lowest multi available in BIOS first. Then you can work on raising it afterwards. Also be sure you have at least the 1005 BIOS or newer, previous BIOS versions did not have a PCI/AGP lock, 1005 and after do. Also the lock doesn't work if you set the BIOS to 100 or 133 FSB but 101-etc and 134-etc do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hello all,

I could increase fsb and multiplier from 100-132 and multiplier from 16-28 but i am not able to get 133-165 option on the bios.My cpu is a c1 stepping 2.8 ghz fsb 400 and bios revision 1008.i have also tried the pin mod changing from L:H and it does not seem to work.The jumper on J1 is set at 3-5 and 4-6 and they dont seem to boot up as with just one jumper on(4-6).Could i do anything else to get it higher?the best i have reached are 3.2 from the stock 2.8 with just air cooling though i have controlled environment in place.

can someone tell me what jumper change attributes to fsb change from 100-132 to 133-165 and my memory timings show up as 3:4 ratio on cpuz 1.28though the timings are 2 6 2 2 ddr 400 ram.The only option i get on frequency are auto and 266.

Thanks all

Best Regards

suj1312

It should have worked. My PC-DL worked the first time at 133-165 with no physical mods at all. You must be doing something wrong. Maybe the orientation you're viewing the jumpers from is wrong or something else. I spent a month researching before I bought my board.

There is this thread at 2cpu.com be warned its very long.

If the 3-4 jumper isn't getting you the different options I'm not sure whats happening. Try:

Boot to BIOS

Change multiplier to your lowest

Change RAM timings to 3-4-4-7

Save and exit

Shut off comp before it boots (hard shutdown)

Unplug comp

Change jumper to 4-6 (be sure your view is correct)

Plug in comp

Boot to Windows and pray

Check CPUz

Good luck

If that doesn't work try this variation:

If the 3-4 jumper isn't getting you the different options I'm not sure whats happening. Try:

Boot to BIOS

Change multiplier to your lowest

Change RAM timings to 3-4-4-7

Save and exit

Shut off comp before it boots (hard shutdown)

Unplug comp

Change jumpers to 2-4 and 1-3 (using the labels in the manual)

Plug in comp

Boot to Windows and pray

Check CPUz

Good luck

• 1 month later...

I just got my PC-DL Delux about 2 weeks ago and have successfully gotten dual 2.66 running at 3.0 (150*20). I have also raised the Vcore from 1.43 to 1.55 using the U-wire mod on CTechnet. I have the fsb up to 165 max but get unstable after 155. I am right now trying to do the wire insulation mod on pin AB3 (is AB3 on my chip) to get the fsb up to 200 but am running into problems with the materials I am using. I have 30 guage wire wrap that I picked up at radio hut and a wire wrapping tool (which is way to big to fit between the pins). I just don't see how I am going to get the wrap around the pin and then the pin with wrap into the socket. I have thought about trying to use a pin to open up the insulation but I can't find one right now. So far in my hour of trying I got two on and then poked then through the side of the insulation before I got it down far enough. How far is far enough? I imagine that it has to go down the entire pin since if it were any shorter it would push up to the top of the pin when going into the socket. If any one has any experience with this mod, success or failure I would like to know. I got these processors for free so in the back of my mind I just want to break off the pin but I just can't bring my self to do it. What should I expect from the fsb increase to 200? I am hoping to to get to 3.4 using 200*17 and try for 3.6 using 200*18. Would I be better staying at my max multiplier of 20 and raising my fsb to get to the speed I want? This is only my second overclock and the first one I am doing hardware mods on if that explains all of the questions. Thanks in advance.

Greg