DXG -308U - Underwater and Outdoor Digital Camera

Bruceleeon

In the world of digital cameras there are a vast variety of makes and models from which to choose. Even for the adept, it can be a little intimidating. If you are one of the many who are venturing into the world of digital imagery for the first time, it can be a downright daunting task to select the right camera from the mass of whirring shutters. Our task today is to find out if the DXG-308U is just such a camera.

Note: So I achieve my goal of making you a more informed buyer and so you understand better what in the heck I am talking about, I include this link to an on-line glossary of digital camera terms and their definitions. Where appropriate, I will include the definition for you: Crutchfield Advisor

Perhaps the best way to describe the niche into which this camera falls is to let DXG provide it themselves:

"DXG develops cameras for first-time and secondary buyers who want an inexpensive everyday camera for spontaneous shots. DXG does not specifically target the advanced PC enthusiast or early gadget adopters due to the costlier needs of these audiences.

DXG cameras are priced to provide all of the necessary features and a host of extras, which provide users real value. As digital camera technology continues to advance pushing today's market prices down, DXG will continue include new capabilities and features in line with what the consumer desire at the entry level price point."

Read More

I have to tell you, I'm very excited that companies are finally offering 3+ megapixel cameras such as this for under 200. Not only is it affordable its versatile. There is nothing better than being able to take a camera outside while its snowing so you can have fun and snap your memories. This camera seems to be a good fit for those on the go. Skiing, snowboarding, swiming... The enthusiasts on a tight budget that expect quality and affordability coupled with versatility and durability!

Good stuff.

True, the features are minimal but it was never intended for the feature conscious. DXG designed it for those who knew very little about digital cameras but were willing to learn. I was very impressed with the quality of the pictures considering the cost. I even bought one for my mother. Include a 128MB SD card and the cost was still under $200.

• 1 year later...

So I got a bargain here in Aus with this camera a little over the year ago. I have used it a lot, mostly underwater in the surf or the ocean.

The picture quality if you can keep your self still enough is not too bad, but what I find best about it is the video you can do. Who cares if there is no sound, cause fish rarely talk. Chuck in a decent size memory card and you can video as long as you like. Fore this reason alone, I love it.

What sucks... the fact to change any options ie stills to video, record to playback etc can only be done out of the casing which means you are pretty well set with the one setting until you come back to dry land, dry yourself off, open the casing, change the setting, close back up and off you go again.

And the rubber buffers on the inside of the casing to activate the buttons when you press from the outside like to fall off. The biggest suck of all is that you can not puchase these tiny little bits of rubber as a spare part. Which means I need to return the whole casing from Australia to the US in order to get a part worth three cents. That really sucks. Really sucks.

Other than that, a year on, plenty of hours underwater later and at a dirt cheap cost.... yeah, not bad.

Edited by Crazy Sean

I agree, It's really hard to beat for the price/quality ratio. Have you checked local hardware/auto parts stores for the rubber and maybe tried to fabricate them yourself?