A mini howto on installing Java and ATI drivers...

Junior

For linux

My mini how to on installing Java and ATI drivers. Will work on most Installs of linux. The main thing to remember in linux, is that som commands and thier switches are case sensitive, as well as the files, so if you have a file names Check.sh you need to type it as Check.sh

JAVA:

you can grab it at java.sun.com

http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcom...sactionId=noreg

I don't know if that link will work so if it doesn't, download the 1.4.2 JRE (Java Runtime Environment) here

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

click on the JRE, accept the agreement, and dl the Self Extracting Binary file (rpm.bin)

after you install the rpm for java you have to create a simlink so you can use the plugin.

cd to your browsers plugins directory and type the following.

**Substitute your version of java, I'm assuming you DL'ed the latest**

in konsole type the following (if this doesn't work, login as root and try it, but it should work as user)

ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_05/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

if you haven't installed java, here is how.

goto where ever you downloaded java. in a konsole login as root and type the following.

chmod a+x j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586-rpm.bin

then execute it

./j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586-rpm.bin

You don't need to read, just hold enter till you get a questions asking if you agree. then execute the rpm as you would any other.

rpm -iv j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.rpm

this will install it to /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_05/

then after you install it you create a symbolic link to the plugin in any of the browsers you use (Mozilla, firefox, etc...) in thier respective plugins directory.

again the command is

ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_05/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

and that is how you install java.

ATI Drivers:

**Note this will work with linux installs that utilize the RPM (Red Hat Package Manager), please consult your Distro for specific instuctions if you do not have a RPM package installed.

This will greatly depend on what version of GCC you are running, and I'm also going to assume you will need the 4.3.0-3.11.1 drivers cause the newer ones just suck. :P You can gab the 4.3.0-3.11.1 drivers by hitting up the following link, or you can try with the new drivers, both will install the same with this method.

**note substitue the 4.3.0 with whatever version your GCC is., and this is graphic card series specific, so if you have a 9800 Pro/XT/SE, or a 9200, download the specific drivers.

For the 3.11.1 drivers download this

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx-4....3.11.1.i386.rpm

For the 3.12.0 drivers Download this.

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx-4....3.12.0.i386.rpm

if you are using a precompiled kernel there are two steps to install them. First off. download the drivers for your particular GCC version, if you don't know download the Check.sh shell file (http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/check.sh) and run it by typing sh check.sh, it should then tell you. The versions Currently offered by ATI are 4.1.x, 4.2.x, 4.3.x

Ok here we go. Login as root, and type the following.

rpm -Uh --force fglrx-4.3.0-3.11.1.i386.rpm

or

rpm -Uh --force fglrx-4.3.0-3.12.0.i386.rpm

that is the command for installing either the 3.11.1 or 3.12.0 drivers.

Let it finish, note at the top it will give a error, this is the second step.

If you read the error, it says to make a customized install for your particula kernel to go to the /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod directory and execute the make.sh file, then cd one directory and execute the make_install.sh shell file. so this is what we are going to do.

You will need to make sure your kernel source is installed. to make sure you have your kernel-source installed you will execute the following command

rpm -qa | grep kernel

Now this should list the kernels you currently have installed on the machine. if you do not have a kernel-source listed, consult you distro's site on how to install it. For mandrake 10 it's rather easy, you would at this time execute the following

urpmi kernel-source

and it would either ask for Disc 3 or if you configured it, go to the update site of your choice, and download the source. For this is iwll assume you have your kernel-source installed.

ok, so you have your source installed, then all you have to do is cd to the following directory

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod

and execute the following

sh make.sh

let it run, after it's done, cd one directory up and type

sh make_install.sh

at this point it will have made the custom install for your machine. Now back to your directory that contains your drivers, and again execute the install for the drivers

rpm -Uh --force fglrx-4.3.0-3.11.1.i386.rpm

(again substitute 4.3.0, for your version of gcc)

This will now install the drivers properly, note any error messages, there shouldn't be any, but ya never know.

After it installs it will tell you to execute as root the fglrxconfig command, which will set up your system. Now at this point there really isn't anything I can tell you about that, it is different for everyone. Go thorugh each options carefully, select everything to the best of your knowledge, I usually leave eveything as it already is, default option answers are in []. there are a few things I say yes to, one is the User locked Pages, the other is the AGPgart question, and the third is the xfree86-dga option.

After you do this, reboot. After you are back in, open up a console, type in fglrxinfo

this shuld output a ATI string and the driver version, if it outputs the Mesa Drivers yout Video driver install failed. Hit up linuxquestions,org or your favorite linux source to find answers on why.

If you have installed a previous set of drivers or if you can not get back into a gui, boot into console and type rpm -e fglrx

this will uninstall the fglrx drivers and reset the system back to normal.

If you did sucessfully install the drivers, be happy, and do two test

glxgears

and fgl_glxgears

On my 9800 XT i get over 3300 on glxgears

and over 500 on fgl_gears

Thats it.