upgraded to 450W PS...

Here is an interesting problem, if anyone can assist....

I upgraded my PC to an AMD 2700 (2.17GHz) processor, but the power supply couldn't handle it - it shut down in about 20 min. So, I bought a 450W supply (had a 320W) and the board didn't fire up. All the fans came on, the harddrives spun up, the DVDs power light blinked, just like everything is supposed to, but the monitor never came on and the computer never ran the bios.

I had a very cheap 400W supply that I hooked up and it ran great, so I returned the 450W supply and bought another (the cheap on overheats...). I hooked up the new one and the same thing happend. Then I hooked up the cheap supply, and nothing happened. Then I put in my old 2100 processor and it cranked right up with ANY power supply.

So, bad processor? flakey new PS? I'm confused!

Motherboard GA-7VT600-L

Edited by Old_Man

Clear the CMOS.

Double check all connections.

Unplug everything except the CPU/fan, vid card and memory. Try starting.

Add one device at a time after that until you find the culprit or bad connector. Try different connectors and IDE cables to be sure.

Also, make sure all the connections are secure. Find out how many amps you are pulling on the 12v line, that's where the cpu will pull from.

Very strange. hooked up another new PS. Tried to fire it up, and it would not run the bios. I changed back to the old processor and it works great. So, now I have an upgraded power supply and the old processor.

The board did not require any changes going from one processor to the other. Everything works great with the old processor. Seems to me that the only thing messing this up is the new processor.

Clear the CMOS!!!

Ok, I took it you wanted me to clear the CMOS, so I did. When i did the computer started... YEAH. I went into the bios setup and set the date, time, etc and ended it and of course the computer restarted... and poof... nothing! It hung again. So, I thought maybe I set something incorrectly. I re-cleared the CMOS and started the computer... NOTHING! So, I changed back to the old processor, and poof it started. I reset the settings in bois and restarted and logged in and came here to report.

Still pissed at the new processor....

Can't see any physical damage on the processor.

• 2 weeks later...

Conclusion is that the processor is bad. I'm returning it.. I guess we'll see!