XP Set-up Endless restart loop

Mark_AR

I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out.

My mobo hosed itself about 3 weeks ago. (power caps poofed)

I ordered a replacement that is identical to the old mobo.(P4S5A)

Installed it.

Booted.

XP wouldn't boot normally. Kept prompting me for safe boot or start normally. After either option, XP would shut down and restart again puttiing me back to same prompt.

Put in XP Pro CD. Booted from CD. Re-installed XP over itself.

34 min left for setup (during device installation) after modem detects and monitor/video detect, the hard drive powers down and system reboots over and over and over. Can't get through set-up.

Help! :unsure:

Thanx.

Please provide full system specs. Then maybe we can help.

Clear the CMOS.

You might try installing Windows with just the basics. (CPU, vid card, memory[just 1 stick], Hdd and a CD-ROM drive) Then install the other devices later.

ECS P4S5A/DX+ mobo (sound & AMR disabled in Bios)

p4 1.8ghz

512 mb ram

30.7 gb Maxtor

3dfx voodoo 3500 vid card

Cmedia 5.1 surround sound (removed)

Winmodem (removed)

Creative DVD (removed)

52x24x32 CDRW

Floppy

I removed all of the extra hardware and it got further than before. Then it got stuck on 13 min left with MSDART.DLL error. I found on the net that if I clicked thru the error message 80 times it would complete the install.

:censored

Finally got to the desktop. XP now takes over 4 minutes to boot. Something still isn't right. It used to boot in about 45 seconds. I am hoping that it hangs on long enough for me to burn a backup of my important files. I might just buy another HD and do a clean install. Then use the current drive as a second drive.

I appreciate the quick response. I bookmarked this site after finding it thru Google. Mebbe I can help someone down the line.

Thanx!

Mark

Glad to hear its sorta fixed. Sounds like you have a bad install or some system files are messed up.

A clean install after saving your data sounds like a good idea.

that hard drive could also be the problem. only way to troubleshoot that would be to borrow a HD known as working. The only other possibility would be the RAM, and I come to that cause of the DLL problem you had. Some people had problems with BAD ram and Installing Windows.

Other things to look for, before you start swapping out hardware. See if your disk is scratched. Yeah, the cd. I have had all kinds of problems with scratched disks. My motto, eliminate all the SIMPLE causes before the expensive ones.

/\

I

I

I

I

dang he's good

that hard drive could also be the problem. only way to troubleshoot that would be to borrow a HD known as working. The only other possibility would be the RAM, and I come to that cause of the DLL problem you had. Some people had problems with BAD ram and Installing Windows.

Umm... Normally I would agree on an initial install.

This drive and RAM have performed flawalessly until now. I don't suspect that they are bad because the power control circuit on the mobo(that tells the power supply to turn on) is all that was bad.

I did notice that the mobos are NOT exactly the same. They are the same series, but my original was not a /DX+

I dunno the difference but it may be enough to give XP a fit.

The MSDART.dll is what keeps track of dll versions. While re-installing, I probably have an updated msdart.dll or other dll and the XP re-install was looking for an older version of a dll it was installing. So it crapped. Par for the course with some microsoft installs.

So much for proper english. :)

I'm gonna try to extract the original msdart.dll off the install CD and try to reinstall XP one more time. If it is still sluggish, then Newegg has a 40G HD for $51 bux shipped.

Then I'll think about building a better one in a amonth or 2 (for an early XMAS present to myself) SATA Raptor, mebbe a RAID config.... It just depends on how the prices fall after the mid-year new hardware releases.

Thanx!

Other things to look for, before you start swapping out hardware.  See if your disk is scratched.  Yeah, the cd.  I have had all kinds of problems with scratched disks.  My motto, eliminate all the SIMPLE causes before the expensive ones.

Never thought about that. I just looked at it and it is mirror perfect. I've only had it out of the jewel case 3X. (I hate paper sleeves)

Dad always told me his motto was:

If it don't work... Gat a bigger hammer!

And when arguing with your wife or S.O., get the last word in....

'Yes Dear' ;)

This drive and RAM have performed flawalessly until now. I don't suspect that they are bad because the power control circuit on the mobo(that tells the power supply to turn on) is all that was bad.

Thanx!

Could have had a surge in power when the mobo Went dead. Or a nuber of different things could be going wrong, all i know is i had a dead HD that would Either install windows, and then all hell would break loose. or It wouldn't install at all.

Could have had a surge in power when the mobo Went dead. Or a nuber of different things could be going wrong, all i know is i had a dead HD that would Either install windows, and then all hell would break loose. or It wouldn't install at all.

OK I see your point.

I'll just go for a HD and mebbe get a 512 stick of DDR that I can migrate into the new computer when it is time.

I'm really beginning to despise computers. :bag

If its a slightly different Mobo, Windows may be looking for the wrong drivers. A clean install is probly the best idea instead of an over the top one.

Never thought about that. I just looked at it and it is mirror perfect. I've only had it out of the jewel case 3X. (I hate paper sleeves)

Dad always told me his motto was:

If it don't work... Gat a bigger hammer!

And when arguing with your wife or S.O., get the last word in....

'Yes Dear' ;)

hehehe... thats classic

• 2 weeks later...

OK I got the new HD in the mail yesterday. Am going to try and do a clean install tomorrow. I sure hate to re-install everything though. I'll have to find all of the drivers disks too.

I might be able so save my outlook express messages by copying all of the .mdb files over to the new HD.

Any tips-tricks to make the migration a little less painful??

Thanks.

Use the tools that come with the hard drive and clone your old one to it.

OEM Drive - No tools or disk with drive.

Download them from the Mfrs. site.

I didn't see anything like that on the Maxtor site.

XP installed on the new HD with no hiccups and it boots much faster.

I used the files & settings transfer wizard. It copied everything over ok.

The only problem is that it didn't do anything with my applications. I have about 2 dozen programs to re-install.

That is a fiasco too. Look for the CD, look for the sleeve or box with the Reg codes.....

I've learned one thing. I need to put an index card with all of my reg/activation codes inside my computer somewhere or tape it to the underneath.

I still have to go to Blackviper.com and tweak my services. Then I can get back to normal.

I appreciate all the help. Mebbe I can return the favor sometime.

Mark

Maybe with 2 more posts you will be eligible to win all the cool crap we are giving away.

Ummm.... What kind of cool crap are you giving away???

Post-1 *grin*

And where do i sign up to win this cool crap???

Post-2

:D

Ok I see.... No SPAM posts.... Dammit...

That means I have to come up with a legitimate reason to post. Hmmmmm....

I am a little ticked at XP though. It transferred all of my directories and contents, but didn't put any of the apps in like I posted earlier.

I've got to re-install Office, PSP7, AOHELL, UD agent, Musicmatch, zonealarm, AVG, scanner, printer, digital camera software and more.

I would have been better off just to copy over 'my docs', 'my pics' and 'my music' and not have 3 dozen extra directories with countless obsolete files.

Makes me want t o try a LINUX install one of these days.... *sigh*

Mark