6200 or X800/9800 XT

ballsdeep

Ive been looking at getting a new vid card and originally was going to look at the ATI 9800 XT until i found some info on ATI's new X800. its has 12 pixel pipelines compared to 9800 8 (i think) and boasts to be twice the video card, but i dont understand why it is cheaper?

ATI card price list

i am not good at keeping up with technology but i thought that the register was a good source (if you review junkies know better let me know). i was just going to drop a few hundred bucks on the 9800 XT but i dont want to if all these new badass cards are going to be released soon. this means that the price of all 9800's will drop soon and i might even splurge and buy a nvidia 6800. these were very informative reviews and it amazes me that the video card industery has technilogically(SP?) exceeded the limites of the 3 Ghz proccesors. they say that these video cards basically rely on how fast your computer runs and there is not a CPU that can maximize the full use of these redifined cards.

6800 ulta review

ATI X800 platinum review

i still dont understand though why ATI boats the X800 is twice as fast, but costs 100 bucks cheaper?

Wait for the X800XT instead of getting the Pro. 16 pipelines. Or the price on the Pro will drop. Should happen about mid-late June.

Yep, definitely wait.

• 3 weeks later...

If you don't want to wait, you can still save yourself some money.

Buy a 9800 Pro 128 or 256, and Flash the Bios to a 9800 XT (Either 128 or 256 MB)

I did Just this and the results speak for themselves.

http://www.computingondemand.com/forums/in...=ST&f=15&t=4333

You can also do the same with a 9600 NP/Pro.

Yeah, I think his best bet is to wait, Junior. No offense to balls, but he isn't as well versed on this tuff as we are.

Yeah, I think his best bet is to wait, Junior. No offense to balls, but he isn't as well versed on this tuff as we are.

I can say that a 2 year old could do this man. It's real easy.

I can say that a 2 year old could do this man. It's real easy.

Well that leaves balls out! :lol:

• 3 months later...

Well if you are looking for something in the 9800xt price range I would go with a 6800NU.

There is no end to the waiting game. Nvidia and ATI will always have something around the corner. Right now the 6800GT is widely respected to be the best in that price range while the xtpe is the best high end. The 6800u takes up 2 slots and needs 2 power connectors. The xtpe is clearly a good choice. The gt easily (while using a single slot cooler and 1 power connector) oc's to ultra speeds.

Sweet! Im using the 6800 GT right now. It has only 1 power connector sompared ot the Ultra that has 2. Could I get a link for a good overclock turtorial? Im new to overclocking and have only messed with BIOS for a Asus board.

Download coolbits found here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.ph...24b86ca2d571660

This will unlock the ocing within the nvidia drivers. Just double click the registry key and add it. Right click on your desktop>properties>settings tab>advanced button> GeforceXXXX tab>menu tree on the left go to clock frequencies.

I like to OC 1 thing at a time. I would go for the ram first since that is pretty picky (plus you are already near Ultra speeds). Stock 6800U speeds are 425mhz/1.1ghz, stock GT is 350mhz/1ghz. You could just leave the ram alone if you so desired but I would first bump it up to 1025 and slowly work your way up from there. For core start out at 375-380 and jump 5-10 mhz each time (380 might seem high but I have yet to see someone not hit that without any problems). So long as you have good cooling in your case it would be pretty difficult to damage anything. You aren't upping the voltage so it’s “relatively” safe.

There is another program called powerstrip which will do the same thing (a little safer since it will return the clocks to normal if something goes awry), it can be found here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.ph...57948cca4fba298