in the voice of Joe Schmoe - "whats going on?!"

Iroc

Ok, Ive happened upon 3 amd procs. Got a system running with one of them, the 1.6 duron. Everything is fine I just cant believe the heat.

Its on a cheapo Asrock mobo m810lmr, might be a rebadged pc-chips brand. I revved it up with prime95 and rebooted to get into bios to see the readings on the hardware monitor. It says the proc is running at about 130 degrees F. And thats not even the reading while it was number crunching. I have a temp probe (kind that mounts in 5.25 bay, lcd display) and put it near the heatsink to measure output air, reads 100-105 F.

Other factors I believe are irrevelant. Its in a 2U rack server case, mobo laid flat so all excess heat can rise off into the air. Top case panel is off.

For comparison my 2.4 P4 chip running overclocked to 3.0 and running prime95 will reach a max temp of 120 F.

So what gives? These are my first dealings with amd chips since i had a k6-2 500 chip. Im about ready to sell them all and buy a celery or p4s.

The MAIN point of this post is i dont want this computer to become a room heater. Its the room over the garage and gets very warm during spring summer and were still in winter. I have a athlon xp 1800+ that should run better maybe hotter than the duron so if the above duron runs hot im afraid to think of the 1800.

These computers are planned to run 24/7.

O ya the proc is using a thermalright sk6 and 60mm vantec stealth fan. I am definetly concerned with noise, i'd rather not know these computers exist.

I was using a 1U low profile speeze fan 5000 rpm at first temps around same i believe, its just like the proc runs hot.

AMD's always run hot. 130f is a bit much but not horrible. Like you said its not summer yet.

Intel will run cooler, always have.

BTW: AMD states that fry/failure temp is 90c, so 194f. But I've found performance and reliability drop above 60-65c. Noise is a fact of life with AMD processors, unless you go for water cooling or an air conditioner.

cool, :lol:

yes amd chips do run hot and yes the hotter they get the worse they run...but 120 is not bad but a little hi for my taste...as rb said unless you are runnong watercooling or have a few ac units in that room then its noise you'll be wanting not that you will be liking the noise but it is a fact o life in this game called computers

AMD's always run hot. 130f is a bit much but not horrible. Like you said its not summer yet.

Intel will run cooler, always have.

BTW: AMD states that fry/failure temp is 90c, so 194f. But I've found performance and reliability drop above 60-65c. Noise is a fact of life with AMD processors, unless you go for water cooling or an air conditioner.

Thats a lie... my proc has been well above 300F and it still works...