Quest for Quiet Computing with Air

Bruceleeon

This idea started out as a quest for a quieter computing solution without going through the hassles of water cooling. I also wanted to see what could be accomplished with just air cooling.

I'll start with a little background information. I have been into computers for a while now. I have only owned one OEM machine (HP 700 MHz Celery) and I will probably never own an OEM machine again. That experience was enough. I am also very anal when it comes to cooling. I tend to freak out at temperatures most people are willing to accept. I have dabbled in water cooling some and it was a good learning experience. For the most part I have learned to live with the whine of many fans to get acceptable (in my view) temperatures. Recently though I decided to see if this obnoxiously loud environment could be changed and still maintain reasonably low operating temperatures.

Read More

Very nice article, Rb. Well thought out and written.

Very nice article, Rb. Well thought out and written.

Yeah after 10 or so revisions! :lol:

But thanks. B)

I have been considering going back to air for a while, but I just can't bring myself to do it. If you think about it, I am preparing myself for the future by playing with water now. The processors that plan to unvail themselves in the upcoming months will generate more heat then air might be able to handle (without MONSTER heatsinks).

So very true about the hotter processors of the future. When they're released we'll have to see. I know Intel is still trying to get the Prescott down in temps from what I've seen. It's gonna be hard with it generating 100+ watts though.

I do have my Koolance rig to fall back on if need be.

I just got an email from Tiffany at Antec about the fan pins. They are available. Just not on the website. You have to call them. Good to know as I might get some for some other projects. :lol:

Great review! 

By the way, the rubber fan mounts can be purchased separately.  We sell them in a set of four for $2.99 plus shipping.  They have to be ordered by calling us at 888-542-6832 because they are not available on the website.

Tiffany

well done RB! i see you benchmark with DF ;)

Can you think of a better way to generate max temps and still keep the points rolling? :lol: