Opinions for my upgrade

[TMX]TrebMaxx

OK, I am getting ready to upgrade my sound system and I thought...who else to ask for a opinion on what I plan to purchase but the fellas at COD.

So to replace my Sound Blaster Live I would like to get this:

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI Sound Card -Retail

Specifications:

Channels: 7.1

Max Sampling Rate: 192kHz

Signal-Noise Ratio: 108dB(SNR)

Hardware Decode: Dolby Digital EX

Digital Audio: 24-bit

Hardware Polyphony: 64 Voices

PC Interface: PCI

Connectors: Line-out,Line-in,Mic-in,Digital Out(5.1),Firewire(IEEE1394),Analog/Digital CD Audio in,Telephone Answering Device in,GAME/MIDI port via extension header,Internal IEEE® 1394 header and AD_EXT extension header to Audigy 2 ZS Internal I/O Drive

Special Features: DVD Audio,THX certified,EAX Advanced HD,DTS-ES

Model# 70SB035000000

Price: $89.00

And to replace my Altec Lansing 2.1 Power Cubes(I love em but only 80 watts) I think I will go with these.

Klipsch ProMedia ultra 5.1 Personal Audio System

Specifications:

Configuration: 5.1

Power Output: per Satellite:60watts/[email protected]=<1% THD,100Hz-1KHz ;Subwoofer:[email protected]=<3% THD, 40-100Hz

Frequency Response: 25Hz-20kHz +/- 5dB

Signal to noise ratio: Not Specified

Remote: Wired control

Features: 90° x 40° Microtractrix Horn, Center channel has rear post angle adjustment for optimum positioning, SWS link for easy connection to ProMedia add-on subwoofer

Model# PROMEDIA ULTRA 5.1

Price: $359.00

Or should I go with these?

N82E16836121105

Logitech THX Certified Z-680 5.1 Speaker 500Watt Silver Retail

Specifications:

Configuration: 5.1

Power Output: 505 watts RMS(Satellite speakers:248 watts RMS;center speaker:69 watts RMS;Subwoofer:188 watts RMS)

Frequency Response: 35Hz -20kHz

Signal to noise ratio: Not Specified

Remote: Wireless Remote Control

Features: Built-in Dolby Digital and DTS hardware decoding, Dolby Pro Logic II decoding creates a 5.1 soundfield from two-channel sound sources, THX-certified theater quality digital sound, Digital SoundTouch Control Center

Model# 970068-0403

Price: $284.00

Any feedback from the pros?

Personally I hate Creative sound cards. They're ok but their driver support is the worst. If theres a problem it takes forever to get it fixed.

I've been using Hercules sound cards for quite a while now and really like them. Good driver support and excellent sound quality.

Fortissimo Gamesurround 7.1 would be one choice of a few at the Hercules site.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?...rtby=14&order=1

As for the speakers. Unless you can really discern sounds really well (I can't) I'd get the Logi Z680's and save a few bucks. I have no personal experience with either but my Z640's are excellent for my needs.

Like I said I can't hear so well. To much gunfire as a kid with no hearing protection.

Check 'em out and let us know what you finally decide on. Out of these no matter which you end up with you're gonna have one kick a$$ sound system.

No kidding. Either of those speakers sets will be good. The Hrecules is also a very fine card. Rb turned me on to them a while back and i am very happy. The Klipsh has a little more power output and can pick up about 10hz lower frequency, but they are also about $100 more. Like Rb said, unless you can discern the nuances I'd go for the Logitech.

Yeah, I checked out the Hercules, but it is not THX certified and I am getting a DVD R/W drive too. From what I read the Creative card is best for Theater use and The Hercules is great for games. Hmmm...I am going to have to think some more on this. Thanks for reply, gives me something to think about.

Well most of the time the Creative cards are fine. The most problems I ever had with them was with motherboards that used VIA chipsets. So thats something to consider.

Another company that has good sound cards is Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/s...producthome.asp

Not sure about the THX stuff though.

I bought a Turtle Beach from a friend and it rocked my old soundblaster. I like my Sants Cruz alot. never had to deal with customer support really from either though, i guess if i did have any problems from Creative, i could go torch the huge lab we have in Stillwater :evil

OK, I got the Ultra's and the Audigy 2 along with a Lite-On DVD burner. I hope to have them in by Friday(maybe Wednesday since it is from NewEgg and they are pretty quick). I will let you guys know what I think of them once I get it all set up and run some test with Music, Games and Movies. I can't wait to hear this set up.

Gonna be an awesome setup, Treb! Nice stuff for sure.

Absolutely. You are gonna like the sound.

Personally I hate Creative sound cards. They're ok but their driver support is the worst. If theres a problem it takes forever to get it fixed.

I've been using Hercules sound cards for quite a while now and really like them. Good driver support and excellent sound quality.

Fortissimo Gamesurround 7.1 would be one choice of a few at the Hercules site.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?...rtby=14&order=1

As for the speakers. Unless you can really discern sounds really well (I can't) I'd get the Logi Z680's and save a few bucks. I have no personal experience with either but my Z640's are excellent for my needs.

Like I said I can't hear so well. To much gunfire as a kid with no hearing protection.

Check 'em out and let us know what you finally decide on. Out of these no matter which you end up with you're gonna have one kick a$$ sound system.

I have and LOVE that card the III not the other one... its a good one.. works great..and low cost..

if you would like to borrow it let me know I have onboard **Cold Chill** I could use for a few days..

Edited by [TMX]RdMaxx