Add/remove prog. list and msconfig

ballsdeep

im workin on my girl's siser computer. they are using the windows 2000 pro (built with NT tech!......uh) and i have 2 problems.

1. the add/remove programs list is missing! where that punk go?

2. i know you can't RUN:msconfig but i need to see a list of all the start up applications. how?

this is why i like windows 98 and windows XPpro.

if i could get a fst response that would be great while im this side of the country for the next few days. let me know what you need to know to help

Services.msc should do the same as msconfig, infact Win XP prefers you use that instead of msconfig. but if your not comfy with that. Services.msc (along with a few others) is NT based.

http://www.jaredshelp.com/article71.html

just follow the instructions.

as for your Add/Uninstall list

What are yyou looking for exactly?

Under control panel it should be add/remove

while in that all ya do is click on the programs list, or if it's windows components you would like to access, then select add/remove windows components.

if ya need any more help, lemme know. but i'll need a bit more info.

Hope most of this helps though.

Edited by Junior

Yeah, what junior said. Actually, I much prefer the svcs instead of msconfig. It's just a matter of preference.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Heres a program that adds a startup tool to the Control Panel. I use it in place of msconfig. I actually like it better.

And like was said add/remove should be in the control panel. If its not you might need to log on as Administrator to see it. The account you're in might have limited privleges.

Thanks for the help guys.

The control panel has everything except add/remove programs. The only thing similar would be the add/remove hardware. I just need to access this so I can unistall general stuff like camera software she no longer uses and what not. I could probably find another way to unistall some of the stuff but she was curious to where it went and its how she prefers to unistall programs. It might have been deleted.

I have looked at the services.msc and it looks confusing. I prefer the msconfig and how it just shows the program and has a check box next to it. I didnt know where to start with all those files everywhere and not one seemed famiular*. I havnt checked that link provided on how to do the stuff so i can probably figure it out.

I appreciate that last post Rbreb but I dont really want to install any new programs on here becasue of limited space and stuff.

any hoots, thanks for the info customer support! :lol:

Its very small. Under 1 meg dude. If you don't have that much space you need to reformat.

You could try a repair from the 2000 disk. That would probly get back the add/remove.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=727

Uninstaller program and theres others there too. Just do a search for "uninstaller" and it turns up several.

Msconfig for 2000.

msconfig_w2k.zip

Alright! i used that msconfig for 2000 and it worked great! i also used that unistaller program from majorgeeks and that worked great as well! thanks suckha.

YOU ARE THE SUPREME GLOBAL MODERATOR :flex

one more question- in the start up menu, do i need to keep the "task manager" and "system" checked? or can i just uncheck everything? the reason im confused is becasue i remember windows 98SE you had to keep like 2 things running but in XP pro you dont need anything in your list.

Those are required components.

The easiest way is to go to the services tab, check the box that says "Hide All M$ Services" and then you can uncheck everything thats left. They will not be needed for Windows to run.

YOU ARE THE SUPREME GLOBAL MODERATOR :flex

I AM THE KING!!! :lol:

I try to be a problem solver, I love trying to figure this crap out. I also have tons of utilities and such saved up.

Rb, that add/remove proggie is sweet.