Nvidia, Hidden tweak.

Most of you probably already know about this, but for those who don't this is new news.

If you are using Detonator drivers for ther Nvidia based card, you might be missing out on some features.

Coolbits: to enable this feature

First step on the road to overclocking your card is to make a new key in the registry. This creates a tab that allows you to alter both core and memory speeds. If you're not confident with making changes to your registry then I'd suggest you ask someone more experienced to do this for you.

First you need to open your registry by clicking Start/Run then typing "regedit". After doing this you need to make your way to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareNVIDIA CorporationGlobal" and then you need to right click on "Global" and create a new key called "NVTweak". The "NVTweak" directory may already exist in which case start from this point. Once you've done this you then need to right click on "NVTweak" and choose the option to create a new dword value which you need to name "Coolbits". Finally, double click on the new "Coolbits" key and in the box that opens enter the value "3".

collbitsreg.jpg

You can also download the file at http://www.guru3d.com/files/ and then just right click and choose merge. Much safer, I've used it many times. It'll enable an overclocking tab in the display properties.

I have a fear of merging anything with my registry, unless I wrote the keys.  If someone wanted to get tricky, they sure could.
Done it a bunch with this file and never a prob!

I used Coolbits before but somehow forgot to put in on a disk. So when I needed to use something again, saw a download for PS and now I use it.

PS is allright, but if you have Detonator drivers, why install another app?

It has more tweaks in it sure, but as far as I have seen, only HARD CORE overclockers use them...

I might be wrong, I might not

On my Nvidia based systems I only use Coolbits! I do like PowerStrip for my Radeon though!

I just know some people are very hesitant to mess with the registry, no matter how painless you make it. But, heck, if you overclock how cautious can you be? :lol:

• 10 months later...

Riva Tuner for mine.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a fear of merging anything with my registry, unless I wrote the keys.  If someone wanted to get tricky, they sure could.

You always could view the contents of the registry first and make sure everything looks clean. Merging registry settings doesn't have to be scary but I know what you mean. Really large registry entires/merges can be pretty scary.

This link might help ease some of the worry about changing registry keys:

Reg Backup

This link might help ease some of the worry about changing registry keys:

Reg Backup

They need a write up about this?? ok.