TR's power supply comparo

Rbreb13

Power to the people

by Geoff Gasior — September 26, 2002 

THE MAJORITY OF attention in PC enthusiast media is dedicated to graphics cards, processors, chipsets, and motherboards. Honestly, I don't blame them, or us, for spending more time on the industry's more interesting and—dare I say—sexy developments than on some of the more mundane happenings and products. However, a product doesn't have to be sexy to be incredibly important.

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2002q3/...us/index.x?pg=1

OK, the Antec still gets my vote. Like the gold grills and reliability. Don't like the TT grills attachment on the inside of the psu. Vantec gets nods for the exterior gold grills also, but loses out on the zip-ties on the sheaths. They do win with the extra plug on the back. Power wise, I think it's a toss up between the Antec and the Vantec. Like the 3.3 on the Antec, but like the 5 on the Vantec. Combined wattage is basically a tie. Antec wins out in the end with the combination of power, quiet and versatility(dedicated not sharing on the 3.3 and 5). Thx, Rb, for the linkage.

I am always amazed at the amount of people out there, who spend 100's of dollars on a system and then expect it to run off of a $20-$30 Generic 300 watt Power Supply.

I had a generic 300 w power supply for years that ran great.. got it for 30 bucks and modded it with 4 fans... that sucker ran all the way up to my athlon xp system..<-- couldn't hang with the power needs though.. So then I dissasembled it.. cut the wires and used them to extend other wires on my newer enermax...

Hey, Newegg sells tons of the Foxconn mid-tower w/300w psu for $33. AMD approved, no less. The thing is, you can run a system with it, just not anything above a Duron.

I'm a firm believer in having the Tim Taylor computer "More Power"<grunt,grunt>. I would much rather have to much than to little. In todays systems (especially AMD) with the excess of fans and periphials. Its a necessity to have lots of power.

• 2 weeks later...
i could build a lot of systems with that case... most people don't need anything above 400mhz... but they think they need the speed... don't know why,
Because its there is why. I could get by with a 500 MHz proc. but theres no way I'll ever do it!