OS Comparison - On Which Operating System Do Games Run Best?

Rbreb13

Summary:

Windows 98/Me still offers the best performance for computer games - at least this is the usual opinion among the discussion groups on the Internet. But is this really the case? In order to find out, we made a comparison between Windows ME, 2000, XP and XP SP1.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/02q3...0930/index.html

I know its Tom's. Still interesting.

I didn't really notice any difference. I switched from 98 to XP and don't get any lockups. That has been the biggest difference for me. Games seem to run about the same. I did see my online lag go down, on the average. Used to run about a 200 ping, now it's usually around 175. Of course, there are lots of factors that could cause this, but I noticed it when I did the switch.

I have done a little testing in this respect myself. And Win ME seems to be a little faster than XP and 2000 but its a negligble gain for having to put up with the most Unstable POS OS M$ ever came out with.

you know what? Everyone keeps talking smack about winME.. but to be honest with you, I loved it... I never i mean NEVER gave me any problems.. I know I might just have been lucky, but putting me on 4 different systems should be enough to disprove the luck theory, I don't know what it is.. but when I install it on MY systems.. it works great.. When I have installed it on other's systems... there have been problems... I don't get it.. but I'll take it

I'll agree with the fact that ME isn't really to bad. I used to run it and once I got it tweaked and patched it wasn't all that bad. But once I switched to W2K there was no looking back!

I put 98 on my old machine, ran great for a while,switched it back to 95, running legacy stuff mostly

If I have to run a M$ OS I choose win98SE never any problems.

WinME was a nightmare for me all the time...Bruce care to buy me a lotto ticket with your Luck???

Still I would rather run OS/2 myself :wink:

seriously if it aint linux its got to Be (Now that was a great OS) win98SE for me...

Soon as I get my copy of Mandrake, I;m dual booting on my second Machine, XP and Linux.

I still use 98se. for the most part i didn't notice any difference in performance in any games between 2k, ME, 98se. I have yet to play on XP so i don't know there... The only problem I'd see i the compatibility side where some games will not run on a NTFS system, XP changes that with a compatibility mode though... Anyone use XP compatibilty tools yet?

There are of course other factors you have to account for...

And I also have never had a prob with ME. Guess I'm just lucky. :wink:

If I have to run a M$ OS I choose win98SE never any problems.

WinME was a nightmare for me all the time...Bruce care to buy me a lotto ticket with your Luck???

Still I would rather run OS/2 myself  :wink: 

seriously if it aint linux its got to Be (Now that was a great OS) win98SE for me...

How long have i been saying that i would love to run os/2. That was an OS. Long gone are the days of stability, ushered in are the days of quick release beta software the we pay for!!!

How long have i been saying that i would love to run os/2. That was an OS. Long gone are the days of stability, ushered in are the days of quick release beta software the we pay for!!!

Whats OS/2 :P

bah, who needs a GUI.... ohh wait... I do. oops.

• 2 weeks later...

did he just ask what os/2 is???????????

Yeah, i don't know what IBM did.. it was like an os right? :P