Raid: A Beginner's Guide to RAID (Part 1):

Another great write up by Jsgolfman, this is part 1 in an explanation of RAID, how you can use it, and what it will do for you...

I think we can safely assume that the majority of our readers have a basic working knowledge of their PC. If not, let me acquaint you with the item with which RAID is concerned. This would be your hard disk drive or HDD. Now your HDD is where all of the software (operating system, spreadsheets, games, etc.) is stored. Without a HDD, you don't have a PC. Considering the ever-increasing size of HDD's today, pushing 320GB, this means a lot of data to be stored. I think we can also assume that you would like this data to remain on your HDD for an extended period of time.

Thanks Jsgolfman

http://www.computingondemand.com/Articles/...RAID-part1.html

• 1 year later...

Link is dead.

I was thinking about purcahsing some hard drives in about a week. Staples will have a sale on 160 GB Maxtor HDD for $80. They have the 8Mb cache and run at 7200 rpm. Does this sound like a good price?

Anyways, Boss and I were thinking about trying a RAID set up on my computer. I was going to purchase 2 of these and was wanting to know alittle bit more about how hard it would be to set up RAID on a ASUS P4P800 motherboard.

P4P800's on New Egg

They say it has a RAID: 0/1 ? I dont know what that means. Im gonna do a little bit more research.

ASUS says this about the P4P800 Deluxe, but I only have the P4P800. I thought they had the same RAID function.

IDE RAID

The VIA IDE-RAID controller supports two-channel ATA 133, enabling users to build Maximum 4 ATA-133 hard disk as an RAID0, 1 , 0+1 , JBOD array. And the graphical user interface provides an easy way to configure and manage disk drives or disk arrays connected.

Link ASUS P4P800

Edited by ballsdeep

The corrected link.

And don't even ask about Part 2! :lol::rolleyes:

I found a great article explaining all RAID and the different types. I want to set up a RAID 0 and then have a backup hard drive for storage incase the RAID messes up. On the box of my mobo it says that it supports SATA RAID.

So the question I have is can I set up two 160GB drives in a RAID 0 configuration? The BIOS option for RAID says

Configure S-ATA as RAID...    Yes/No

So do I have to have SATA hard drives to use the RAID function?

So do I have to have SATA hard drives to use the RAID function?

Yes or you will need Sata-IDE adapters.

Also you'll probly have to reinstall Windows so you can install the SATA RAID driver at the F6 prompt.

I have a RAID 0 setup in my PVR (4x80 WD's) for video work etc. My OS and programs are all installed on a 30 gig IDE drive. I don't trust RAID for them. Even though I've never lost an array it can happen. I would suggest having an IDE drive for OS and programs and your important documents and files.

Remember to backup frequently. If one drive fails you lose everything in a RAID 0 setup.

Yeah, if you bought the deluxe, you would have had both SATA and ATA Raid functions like me. Serial ATA drives are nice, but not any cheaper than older ATA drives.

Newegg should have some good deals though on SATA drives. I prefer Western Digital Drives personally, but you can get some good deals with any manufacturer they carry.

Yea, thnaks for the comments. I dont want to buy 4 drives but I know that would be best. Im still wanting to do the RAID 0 and am looking at NewEgg becasue I figure the IDE 160 drives would cost the same as just buying the S-ATA becasue I would have to buy 2 converters for 20 bucks a pop.

So whst is the difference between

Interface: Serial ATA

and

Interface: Serial SATA150

Which one would be a better buy?

Maxtor Ultra Series Kit 120GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model L01M120, Retail

($109.00 )

- Specifications -

Capacity: 120 GB

Average Seek Time: 9.3 ms

Buffer: 8 MB

Rotational Speed: 7,200 RPM

Interface: Serial SATA150

Features: Ideal for high-end gaming and digital video, Ultra quiet operation with FDB motor

Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year

Packaging: Retail (see pics for details) 

Model#: L01M120

Item#: N82E16822144351 

OR

Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, MODEL 6Y160M0, OEM Drive Only  

($103.00)

- Specifications -

Capacity: 160GB

Average Seek Time: 9.3 ms

Buffer: 8MB

Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM

Interface: Serial ATA

Features: Maxtor Shock Protection and Data Protection Systems

Manufacturer Warranty: 3 years

Packaging: OEM Drive Only 

Model#: 6Y160M0

Item#: N82E16822144322 

Im planning on having these 2 drives on RAID 0 and then having my 80 GB to back up all my ducuments and important stuff. Can the OS need to be installed on the RAID drives or does it need to be on the backup. I dont mind having the OS on the RAID (ill take my chances) if it will run better. As long as I have all my important documents backed up on the 80 GB IDE drive then I should be fine right?

Edited by ballsdeep

SerialATA 150 is SerialATA, so it makes no difference. SerialATA runs at 150MBps.

Hmmm then why is the 120 Gb more expensive and why do they list one as Serial SATA150 and the other Serial ATA? Is the price jump just because its not an OEM?

Hmmm then why is the 120 Gb more expensive and why do they list one as  Serial SATA150 and the other Serial ATA? Is the price jump just because its not an OEM?

Retail comes with cables, mounting materials and any other goodies they like to pack in, OEM comes with just the drive, nothing else.

SerialATA 150 is SerialATA, so it makes no difference. SerialATA runs at 150MBps.

Theoretically, you won't see anything close to that speed.

Theoretically, you won't see anything close to that speed.

not unless they beef up HD's, yeah, you'd see closer to around 80 - 90 MB/s give or take. Not too sure on those numbers. I know SATA drives certainly fair better in xfer rates than the typical IDE drives.

My best score in Sandra with 4x80 GB WD 8 meg cache drives in RAID 0. IDE not SATA.

post-16-1094926992_thumb.jpg

My best score in Sandra with 4x80 GB WD 8 meg cache drives in RAID 0. IDE not SATA.

right around what I estimated.

Also note... benifits of raid lie mostly with write times... read times are about the same. If you decide to do the raid setup make sure you get IDENTICAL drives as it will greatly help. so far ive seen the greatest performance with a 64k stripe.

Hmm I thouhgt you could only use identical drives. What do you mean by 64k? I thought a stiped setup was just a 0 RAID setup

Hmm I thouhgt you could only use identical drives. What do you mean by 64k? I thought a stiped setup was just a 0 RAID setup

No you don't need to use Identical drives, but it's recommended to have identical drives so you are assured that the raid array will actually work.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, mine is running great! its alot faster than old stuff I think. Easy setup and such, I never even heard of a Sata HD till a few weeks ago haha, dont know why.