SOltek Socket A Board

jsgolfman

I have been looking around for some boards to possibly purchase and came across this one. What do you think:

http://www1.soltek.com.tw/English/home/01.htm

I like the fact that it has fsb and v-core adjustments from the bios. Also, it has AGP and DIMM voltage adjustments too.

Not to hot on Soltek myself. Looks pretty good though as far as the Award BIOS features. If I needed a board right now, I might consider it. But if not I'd wait and get a KT400 when they get the bugs fixed. I always wait for the "a" or "b" versions of VIA chipsets.The 1st releases are usually just to "buggy" to make them worth while.

The AWARD was one of the things that I liked too. Very easy bios to use. I also want it to be as user friendly as possible so when I sell the system I can tout it as one of the features. Kind of a budget system, but with features you would expect on a more expensive board. All the reviews I have read on this board have only said negatives about having to use jumpers.

The AWARD was one of the things that I liked too. Very easy bios to use. I also want it to be as user friendly as possible so when I sell the system I can tout it as one of the features. Kind of a budget system, but with features you would expect on a more expensive board. All the reviews I have read on this board have only said negatives about having to use jumpers.

im actually in the same boat; however im eyeing MSI KT3 Ultra2. (just the plain one, not the other ones eg: -BR -ARU etc)

the KT3 goes for around $82 @ newegg, free ship.

however, talk to rstarr of serialaddiction.com; im not sure if he's still there but he is an army guy who was recently stationed in Korea where Solteks are made. he built tons of systems with Soltek boards.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?...tion=13-130-354

that board (above) is practically perfect for me, i dont mind about the jumpers but ASUS has spoiled me with the jumper free thing :) (not sure if this has jumper free) it also has a KT333 chipset; USB 2.0; 6-channel audio (no crappy AC97), and other standard stuff.

Don't know about the MSI. Haven't heard good things. If I hadn't heard such good things about the Soltek, I would have stuck to ASUS.

only prob i have with asus is the temp monitoring....its not as accurate as other boards and they have features that dont even work sometimes. however if the A7V333 is as stable and a good a performer as everyone said it is i would prolly fork out some extra bucks for it.

anybody other than me had asus boards? dont get me wrong, the A7V133 I have is perfectly fine, chugging along quite well. its just that the temp monitoring says 53C for CPU, which i do not beleive. (1.2ghz t-bird)

Don't know about the MSI. Haven't heard good things. If I hadn't heard such good things about the Soltek, I would have stuck to ASUS.
I haven't had any prob with my MSI board and its got a lot of options in the BIOS. Not as many as my Asus P4B533 though!

MSI K7T266 Pro2/AthlonXP 1800+ @1.63~768 Crucial PC2100 (3x256)~Visiontek Gforce 3 Ti500 @260/560~Creative Soundblaster 5.1 X-Gamer~Plextor CD/RW 12x10x32~Samsung DVD SD-612~2x Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 60gb 7200rpm ATA-100~Windows 2000 Pro~Koolance PC2-601 w/custom paint

Watercooled the cpu, gpu and hdd

Yeha, Kal, I have the same issue with my A7M. I just use MBM. I actually installed the latest version of ASUS Probe, but it had serious issues with MBM. Wouldn't work. Only other problem I have is it is not very overclockable. Your only option is fsb. No voltage adjustments for anything and no divider.

I also use MBM instead of the Asus Probe. Also the newer Asus boards have voltage adjustments and just about anything else an Overclocker would want. Although a little research is in order as some offer near useless dividers and things like that.

JSG, I know you already know this, but a really good source of info is at:

http://www.asusboards.com/forums/index.php?s=

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.