Sign in to follow this  
Rbreb13

Fee VS. Free Software

Though great free services are getting tougher to find on the Web, free software has never been better or more abundant. These days you can net everything from office suites to e-mail apps to firewalls without spending a dime. And while "free" used to mean "dumbed-down" or "crippled," some of today's no-cost apps, such as Outlook Express and ZoneAlarm, outshine most of their pay-to-use competitors. 

http://www.pcworld.com/features/article/0,...3,tk,cxc,00.asp

No comment, just interesting.

Yeah, some of them are shareware, but if you like it the most you pay is $25. You never know, the next sw program you buy could be from another Wozniak or Jobs.

nice article there, thanks for linkage rbreb.

i must comment, free software rocks! i use alot of free software, mainly open office (ive used it since start of school, and im writing up reports, labs, and making charts etc and its awesome!)

i also use mozilla and thats superb, and Tiny Firewall which in my opinion is great, i might purchase the full version but im saving my money.

also, when my freind reformatted his windows2000 box he didn't even bother installing MS Office, he just put Openoffice, mozilla, and a couple other things on there. only MS thing he had was windows and IE.

did you see the firewall section in there, LOL!! ZA in my opinon is very very very bad firewall, especially for a free one, plus im still confident it has spyware. (its obvious ZA sponsored this)

only probs with that article: its outdated, Suns Staroffice (SO) isn't free anymore, thats why theres open office. Mandrake 8.1 isn't the newest distro, its 8.2, and cmon, Outlook Express vs. Endora? u can get OE free with windows (and prolly free d/l for macs), endora is just like Lotus or netscape, they've lost thier ground and cant go against MS.

also, does anybody know a good PIM manager? (other than outlook) only prob with mozilla's email app is i have to manually set it to filter junkmail.

well im off to post that suggestion to Mozilla.org (another great reason why open source rocks!)

</rant> 8)

There was just a rant in PCMagazine about these kinds of sites... it seems that a guy purchases software from one of these places and it was shareware. And now there is a big thing about it...

i had my own idea about software, more pointed toward games,

A yearly subscription service would be a cool idea. Pay a certain amount per year and get 'x' number of software titles to choose from for free. I think we would end up owning more games, and it could help out the lower software manufacturers that get passed by in favor of the more popular games mainly cuz once u got all the cool games you would still be able to get 'x' number of games that are left on the subscription.

i had my own idea about software, more pointed toward games, 

A yearly subscription service would be a cool idea. Pay a certain amount per year and get 'x' number of software titles to choose from for free. I think we would end up owning more games, and it could help out the lower software manufacturers that get passed by in favor of the more popular games mainly cuz once u got all the cool games you would still be able to get 'x' number of games that are left on the subscription.

Only problem I would see with that is either 1 you would use your picks up really quickly trying to get all those "cool" games you missed before or 2 you would end up saving your picks till the end of the year just waiting for that next great game to come and hence bypassing those lesser games you were talking about.

I would like to see a model based almost how wild tangent http://www.wildtangent.com/ is doing it right now where as the game is free or next to free and then you pay for the next chapter if you like the game.Of course the fee would be nominal and if you played and completed the whole game then you would only pay the full price.

Lets be honest do you finish every game you buy???

that is true... i like the pay by chapter idea... I have a lot of games here that either lose my interest or i bought thinking it would be better.

Not really!

You know what, that is one of the things I loved about the Quake III Arena. The download let you play it in multiplayer... I never had any interest whatsoever in playing it in single player mode.

Tactical ops modification for unreal tournament is another one that comes to mind quickly. The free version is perfect for gaming. Aside from lacking a few maps there is no difference between it and the retail version. Besides, the maps are downloaded automatically when you enter a match you don't have the map for.

Yep, just finished Jedi Knight II, already finished Max Payne like 20 times... I still have to finish a few others.... but I get my monies worth. I finished Deus Ex... but that one doesn't count. :wink:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this