Vantec Stealth 520W Power Supply

Rbreb13

http://www.systemcooling.com/modules.php?n...article&sid=147

http://www.overclockers.com/articles613/

Couple of reviews, awesome looking PSU! 52 amps on the 5v rail is killer!

• 3 weeks later...

Another review of the same at 3dGameman. (Video Review)

http://www.3dgameman.com/vr/vantec/vantec_...ideo_review.htm

• 7 months later...

I wouldn't recommend any Vantec psu's... the rails may be rated high, but the 5V rail, in particular, always seems weak!! I had 2 of the 470 Watt variety that sucked before I realized that it may not just be a fluke. Take alook around at the review for Vantec (and PC Toys) psu's... Some reviews show good results, but many people find the same thing that I did. And, some of these reviews just gloss over the fact that the 5V rail is at something like 4.76V while idling straight out of the box like its no big deal!! Sounds like teh suck to me!!

Good points Doggie. I personally only use Antec PSU's in my own rigs.

BTW: Welcome!!

See, that's why I like my little 'ol $45 Enlight 420w. 5.02, straight outta the box, 4.95 under load.

See, that's why I like my little 'ol $45 Enlight 420w. 5.02, straight outta the box, 4.95 under load.

Oh yeah!! After wasting my time on the Vantecs, I just bought the Enlight 420W... I paid $55 though... d*mn. US $ right? The 5V line is now up near 5V as opposed to the Vantec that would go as low as 4.68!!

Anyway... in the process I also learned that Vantec and PC Toys are the same psu's... and Thermaltake, Enlight, and Chieftec are the same...

Yep, $45 US. I use to have a 340w Enlight. It too would run very near spec no matter what I did. Course, when I started upgrading other parts,I realized I needed more power. I currently have 4 case fans, Tornado on cpu, dvd, cdrw, 2x120GB WD SE, Radeon 9500 PRO, NIC, Fortissimo sound card, multifunction panel, etc., etc. It never falls below 4.95 on the 5v and stays a constant 3.33 on the 3.3v. Not too shabby for $45.

Thats good. I'm useing an Antec TruPower 430 watt. And my rails usually sit at 3.23 for the 3.3 4.97 for the 5 and 11.97 for the 12v. This is at full load 100% CPU crunchin Dist. Folding right now!

Sys Specs:

P-4 2.53GHz Memory @180x2=360MHz~Swiftech MCX4000 w/36cfm TMD fan~Asus P4B533~512mb Xtreme DDR PC3000~Antec 430w TruPower~ 2x80 gb WD "Special Edition" and Maxtor 1x80, 1x60 =300 Gb~Pioneer 16x DVD~Lite-On CD/RW 40x12x48~Hercules Game Theater XP~ATI 9700 Pro~misc stuff~ Win XP Pro

Ive pretty much just got a little of everything here. I have to Enermax 431's (the were the cream of the crop), vantec 550, powmax 500, antec, chieftec.

The vantec hasn't been bad for me... I haven't raved/knocked it because i haven't reviewed it. And to be quite honest i really don't care how well it does because my system eats not even close to 400w at any given time. PLUS - I bought it because it was black aluminum (like my case).

the Enermax is in my server - thats a (the D-word) fine PSU. The 5v runs at 5.11 under FULL LOAD and the 12v is at 11.49 (man.. there is a LOT Of (the S-word) in server: 7 HDDS = 665gb, burner, drives, etc.) so its doing well

Yeah, don't know if I would throw my Enlight in the server, that would be pushing it. But for just about any other system, it's great.

That was before shipping. I think total after shipping was $51. I got it from Newegg. My favorite retailer is Newegg, best prices on most items. I also like Tigerdirect. They generally have the best prices on barebones stuff and recertified items. Then again, Compgeeks has some great deals too. And, of course, for cooling you can't leave out Sidewinder. Gary is my favorite cooling supplier. He is the best, simply the best. Now, if you are not into building the systems yourself :evil: , you could visit KC Computers. Kevin isn't the cheapest place around, but I guarantee he has the best service anywhere. E-mail is just about the only way to reach him, but I've never had him take longer than three hours to respond. Even late at night/early morning. You send him the specs and he will help you make adjustments to it for the best combination of items. Heck, why not some links?

KC Computers

Sidewinder

Newegg

Tigerdirect

• 2 months later...