Installing Linux on a Netbook from a USB Thumbdrive

In my household, netbooks fly around like curse words.  I have had more Acer's come through my home office than I would like and for some reason, they either come with Windows XP or Windows 7 Starter; both are worthless in my opinion.  So when my friend asked me help him install Ubuntu on his Aspire One, I obliged.  Remember, netbooks do not come equipped with CDROM/DVD drives and unless you have an external drive or converter, your only option is to use USB. The process of preparing your installation shouldn't take you that long.  There are, however, a few Read More...fZy4gDmBaX8

View the full article

This is the kind of article that brought me to COD!!! Nice work! I really like the COD guides overall - I always learn something new! Keep up the great work!

I'm not a Linux user... my limited use of Linux has been using a Knoppix live CD to recover data from a crashed Windows system... I used Knoppix once to recover a bunch of files from an old-school DVR that died, I removed the hard drive, hooked it up to PC as a secondary drive, and discovered that the DVR had saved the videos using a file system that Windows could not recognize. I figured "why not try Linux?" and booted up Knoppix, and BAM! I was able to copy the files to an NTFS drive so that I could then manipulate 'em in Windows and convert 'em to Xvid AVI files.... (yeah - I know - totally off topic, but I've had a beer or five and I'm rambling LOL)

Edited by dlb

Well i have used Fedora, Ubuntu & open suse. I liked Ubuntu better because of wide community support and less in download size :).

My primary purpose of using Linux distro to check my my banking sites or other persona information. Since my wife watches lot of videos on internet. She is not technical person, so she doesn't get realize what she is installing or removing. So i feel its better to use linux for my personal use. Its almost 3 years i am using for my personal works. Apart from this the other reason is that I like playing with linux and doing some tweaks as linux gives lot of freedom to do with your OS and hardware. Like you can't change fan speed under windows but linux allows this.

After playing with Ubuntu Netbook for a while, I am not impressed. There just seem to be a bunch of things missing. The next will be full blown Ubuntu or a Fedora install. It actually doesn't perform as well as Windows 7.

I meant to say personal use means checking banking account, paying credit cards bills, updating any other personal details. This doesn't even take 30 minutes in a day. Rest time i use only windows. I also like Windows 7 and felt its little stable from its previous OS.

I don't know but lot of people says that they didn't like Vista. I have used Vista around 2 years and i liked it.

Same here. I get bore with same OS in 3 years. When technology brings new things & new features then why stick with old one. But the main reason people didn't like Vista is not that it was bad OS. But the main reason was that when there are so many free OS available on market and if they are paying $200-300 for any OS then it should be worth. Vista didn't had any much features which linux or other OS didn't had. After having so many years in market, Microsoft should understand that people should feel that they are getting worth of money.

Microsoft's days are gone. There are lot of free alternatives available on internet. Almost every computer comes with pre-installed Windows that's why they have major market. If laptop or computer manufactures give option to reduced $200 and take free linux then almost 80% people will shift to Linux. I don't understand why computer manufactures are not coming up with this options?

Oh yes. I heard about that but I think they should have given this option in configuration section. Walmart was selling pre configured and linux pre-installed system. My suggestion was that computer manufacture like HP, IBM & Dell should give linux install option as optional. If people will see they are saving $200 on OS only they can put these money on some hardware upgrade.

But I assume MS has some deals or contract with computer manufacture so they give only windows OS option only.

This is interesting. How would u reinstall windows7 on a netbook if there's no optical drive?

there is a free utility from microsoft that allows you to install from a USB "stick". I only install from usb sticks even though I have a DVD-RW. it's much quicker, and allows you to slipstream in updates.

I dual boot Kubuntu and Windows 7 Ultimate on my computer and Ubuntu and Windows 7 Pro on my laptop.

I actually prefer KDE over Gnome, but that's my preference.

I haven't tried KDE interface yet. I heard that its similar to Windows thats why i went with GNome. There should be some changes otherwise what is the fun of having different OS :)

I haven't tried KDE interface yet. I heard that its similar to Windows thats why i went with GNome. There should be some changes otherwise what is the fun of having different OS :)

I don't mind Gnome, Its a solid and very fast interface, not to mention clean, and I've found it has fewer bugs than KDE. Beauty is with linux you can actually switch between both interfaces, so it gives you a choice unlike Windows.