jazboy

HTPC build

I am fairly new in HTPC field. I heard lot of times it before and read about it in wikipedia. I want to make an HTPC for myself. Can anyone guide how much it can cost around? I want to build neither cheap or neither very costly.

My honest opinion? I would get a cheap SFF PC and a decent video card with HDMI that is low profile. Along with a Blue-tooth keyboard and mouse. Then, you have yourself a nice HTPC for under 350.00!

computer: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7069346&CatId=5139

Vid Card: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=28&sel=Mfr;Mfr_2525,Detail;236_1239_3359_3359

Blue-tooth Keyboard & mouse: http://computingondemand.com/rocketfish-bluetooth-keyboard-mouse-rf-btcmbo2

I would have to agree. If you try to put something together yourself (assuming you don't have any leftover parts) you will probably end up around $500 when you throw in an OS.

I also discussed with my one of friend about HTPC. Here are break up which i am planning

1. Motherboard : $80

2. Chasis : $50

3. RAM 8 GB DDR3: $55 (yesterday i saw one deal)

4. Graphics Card: $100

5. Sound Card: $30

6. Hard Drive 1TB: $50

7. Operating System: $100 (this is only thing on whcih i don't want to spend this much. I heard about Ubuntu Studio which is free and can work. What do you guys think about it?)

8. Intel Core i3 processor $60

Let me know if i am missing anything.

My honest opinion? I would get a cheap SFF PC and a decent video card with HDMI that is low profile. Along with a Blue-tooth keyboard and mouse. Then, you have yourself a nice HTPC for under 350.00!

computer: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7069346&CatId=5139

Vid Card: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=28&sel=Mfr;Mfr_2525,Detail;236_1239_3359_3359

Blue-tooth Keyboard & mouse: http://computingondemand.com/rocketfish-bluetooth-keyboard-mouse-rf-btcmbo2

Should i go for branded one or should i build by myself. If cost me around $300-$400 then i am ok. Actually i don't want to spend more than $400 at this point of time. I also thought of Logitech Google TV Revue but it cost around $299 on amazon and i don't think just this is worth. So thought of building HTPC which will serve all the purpose.

I have 1 home built HTPC and two of those hp's as htpcs. I installed the Antec Veris in one to use with my harmony remote. They are pretty good. However, I have the dc7800's not the 5700. They are about the same size of the classic ps3 which makes them attractive to me. I did some upgrades, added a gig of ram, had a core 2 duo lying around so that went in. It works great for streaming DVDs and bluerays.

I have 1 home built HTPC and two of those hp's as htpcs. I installed the Antec Veris in one to use with my harmony remote. They are pretty good. However, I have the dc7800's not the 5700. They are about the same size of the classic ps3 which makes them attractive to me. I did some upgrades, added a gig of ram, had a core 2 duo lying around so that went in. It works great for streaming DVDs and bluerays.

Sounds good. I am also assuming if i want to play any channel which is accessible through webpage i would be able to play it.

Sounds good. I am also assuming if i want to play any channel which is accessible through webpage i would be able to play it.

Yes it will work like normal pc in your tv that's whey we call it Home theater Personal computer (HTPC)

I also discussed with my one of friend about HTPC. Here are break up which i am planning

7. Operating System: $100 (this is only thing on whcih i don't want to spend this much. I heard about Ubuntu Studio which is free and can work. What do you guys think about it?)

You forgot DVD / Blu Ray drive :).

You forgot DVD / Blu Ray drive :).

Oh. yes. this is important part man. How can i forget that..(Another $50-$80)

Thanks dude.

I haven't used it but i feel you can use ubuntu Studio as OS and save around $100.

what do you think about this @jdifiglia? Will ubuntu studio work on HTPC? I have ubuntu installed on my machine as 2nd OS but i didn't think about it that it might work on HTPC too.

Edited by jazboy

As far as software goes, I've been well served with Windows Media Center inside Windows XP, Windows 7 and now Windows 8. WMC and any other alternate software works best for live TV with ATSC tuners in my opinion because you don't have to integrate IR blasters with an external cable box.

Windows Media Center is my main hub. I have an icon for XBMC that closes WMC and when XBMC is closed WMC reopens. No movies or pre recorded TV through WMC though... I let XBMC handle all that. However, nothing does live TV like WMC.

I use ceton software and an iPad for remote in WMC and Constellation in XBMC.

I've tried this button to open XBMC and close WMC, it's a good idea and works well. Maybe I should install it again, i have not reinstalled XBMC since upgrading to Windows 8. WMC does not do everything, it's a bit of a shame. You can't play some new formats like mkv out of the box, so if you want to play those you have to use something else like XBMC. Does XBMC play .wtv files recorded through WMC ? Or do you play these using the ceton software ?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.