Netflix: A Misunderstanding or a Hint?

Bruceleeon

In a blog post, by Jamie Odell, on Netflix.com yesterday, it was announced that Netflix was making some changes to its services; members would no longer be able to add DVD's to their queues on devices they can use to stream movies. The idea is born from another that the "Add to DVD Queue" option ties up valuable resources and would still be supported directly and only from the Netflix.com website. Numerous readers of the blog were upset by the announcement and this was evident by the nearly one thousand comments in just under a day.  Users are concerned that Read More...iPDFdNkfFzU

View the full article

• 3 weeks later...

I have Netflix account from last one year. I was thinking to shift to streaming one but later i saw there is not much movies in streaming as oppose to DVD title. If they remove 'Add in queue' features then it will be really disappointing. If they want to do that then first they should make new movies available to stream early. Currently it takes so much time to come into streaming that either you loose interest or watch from DVD.

I didn't know amazon had a similar service...

Actually amazon have video and tv shows streaming service. They call it as Video on Demand. See link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/start) but i don't think they offer any monthly subscription fees. They charge based on per movie or show views. Their qualities of videos are good compare to netflix but overall its costly compare to netflix.

Yes they do have. As per engadget they are secreatly working on streaming like netflix. See the article at (

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/29/amazon-rolling-out-netflix-like-video-streaming-for-prime-subscr/ )

I believe competition is good for everyone :)

Looks like their price plan is little cheaper than Netflix. If they come out with such plan then i might shift to amazon too.

One good news.. Today morning i just happened to visit amazon site and it seems that they have added instant videos with prime membership. Total cost of prime member ship is $79 per year. So around $7 per month and you will also gets other benefit too. I haven't tried it yet. But have to explore how is the qualities, how many movies / Tv serials are added in these list. As of now i am under impression they don't have any limitation on watching movies or TV serials.

Edited by jazboy

I browsed the instant queue again on Saturday... what a waste. There are no good movies to watch instantly.

Yes i am also getting little fed up with this. Not much movies. Almost every weekend i rent movie from Redbox.

One good news.. Today morning i just happened to visit amazon site and it seems that they have added instant videos with prime membership. Total cost of prime member ship is $79 per year. So around $7 per month and you will also gets other benefit too. I haven't tried it yet. But have to explore how is the qualities, how many movies / Tv serials are added in these list. As of now i am under impression they don't have any limitation on watching movies or TV serials.

I didn't know there is prime membership such thing on amazon. It sounds great deal. Can give a try. This was much needed competition as netflix movies selections sucks.

I just read an article about this. It seems that netflix even uses amazon's AWS for their service!

According to Amazon, Netflix, which has been using the e-commerce giant’s Web services for a year, will expand its usage and migrate more of its infrastructure to the cloud.

For Amazon Web Services, Netflix represents a strong case study to take to other enterprises. Corporate IT buyers often prefer someone else to make the leap to a new platform and then follow. Netflix is high profile enough to garner interest since it requires high availability and is using Amazon’s cloud for core business functions.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/netflix-migrating-more-infrastructure-to-amazon-web-services/34178

Well yesterday night I got chance to play with Amazon video streaming service. I also went to their FAQ to know more about these service. I am listing my like/dislike features as below. This is just my opinion.

Good

1. I felt HD qualities is better than Netflix HD quality.

2. You have subtitles aviliable for most contents which I liked.

3. Lot of new movies are included in subscription which are not available through netflix streaming option. So i felt their movie selections are better than netflix.

Bad:

1. You can not watch two videos simultaneously with one account.Lot of times I watch movies on laptop and my wife watches movies on TV. A big thump down from my side for this.

2. Some of HD movies are not aviliable for watching on PC but available on devices through blu-ray, roku etc.

At this point of time i am not thinking to go more than trial period as I didn't like concept that you can't watch two videos simultaneously. This is one of my primary requirement but if you combine video on demands with features like free 2nd day delivery on every items purchased from amazon then its not actually a bad deal.