Essential Windows 7 Tweaks: Part 1

Bruceleeon

Every person has different tastes when it comes to their installation of Windows.  Through the years that have been many things that I do right off the bat when getting my install "just right".  In the XP days, the first thing I would do was to stretch the taskbar, enable Quick Launch, add an address bar, unlock it, then move those around a bit.  If my taskbar wasn't set up this way, I HATED IT... in fact, I would move other people's around when I worked on their computers!  Windows 7 is no different for me, however, the list isn't Read More...JY8K_586I9I

View the full article

• 1 month later...

I've always enjoyed "tweaks-n-tips" type of articles... I was already familiar with most of these in part 1 except for the Remote Access or Remote Desktop configuration... it's always nice to learn something new!

Even though its good tweak to disable system restore but i would like to have it as if anything happens then its really pain to format and install windows again. Do you have any tweak to save some space on windows like how to disable hibernate or find out if hibernate has taken any space. I hardly use hibernate features on windows and was wondering if i can get some space by disabling that.

Hibernation does indeed use up drive space, and I've been anti-hibernate since I first starting using PCs. I see no positives to using the hibernate mode; if you're not going to be using the PC for 90min or more, just turn it off! I have seen PCs get "stuck" in hiberation, I have seen Windows crash irreparably coming out of hibernation, etc, etc et al. Check out this easy "how-to" for disabling hibernation in Win7 using a few different methods, including disabling via a command prompt (which is actually the quickest and easiest -IMO- way to do it ;) )

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

Scroll down a bit until you see OPTION ONE.....

I agree with keeping System Restore active; I have NEVER needed it on my personal PC here at home, but >you never know< and it could be a life saver - leave it enabled; if you're conscious of your drive space usage, then System Restore should not be a problem with eating up space; as long as drive C; has at least 30% free at all times, then System Restore should make no difference at all to HD space usage; if you're getting down below 15%-20% free space, then it's time to buy a larger HD, or start deleting that crap you haven't looked at in 2 years! LOL check out the following link to limit how much space is devoted to System Restore http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-much-disk-space-does-System-Restore-require

Edited by dlb

I keep system restore off. I have a 80gb SSD as my primary drive and I just don't want the space to get taken up.