Hard Drive Encryption

Bruceleeon

It seems that the world is going crazy; everyone wants everyone else’s information.  Some companies are going to great lengths to protect their data.  Laptops have gone missing or stolen with tons of important data on them, copy machines have latent images on the hard drives that can contain vital or important private information on them.  So what can be done about all this?  Some companies, including my own, have started encrypting hard drives.  This is nothing new as types of encryption have been around for thousands of years (ever watch an Indiana Jones movie?), but it seems as soon as something makes the news, the purchasing departments or C level staff finally listens to IT.  Full disk encryption does more than protect specific files on a hard drive; it encrypts every sector on the drive, including those occupied by swap space, temp files, and hibernation files.  By encrypting every Read More...r88INpSjie8

View the full article

• 5 months later...

So is it good option or not for going hard drive encryption. My Windows OS has bit locker encryption software but i never used it. I tried to used it but it said that your chip doesn't support TPM (something like that). I tried it quite long back. Recently i was thinking to go with TrueCrypt. I am using it to just creating encrypt folder but never tried with full hard drive encryption. Will it impact my system performance ?

Well I don't think it take too much process. If you go for total hard drive encryption then at start it might take some times but once it started it should take much time. If you are doing web browse or anything which doesn't access hard drive contents then you should be fine.

Well its up to you. If you want security of your data then definitely you should go for encryption. In my case i have lot of sensitive information on my hard drive so i have one partition encrypted.

Well I don't think it take too much process. If you go for total hard drive encryption then at start it might take some times but once it started it should take much time. If you are doing web browse or anything which doesn't access hard drive contents then you should be fine.

Well its up to you. If you want security of your data then definitely you should go for encryption. In my case i have lot of sensitive information on my hard drive so i have one partition encrypted.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...