WHS as a Free Email Server

Bruceleeon

Setting up your Windows Home Server as an Email Server is fast, easy, and best of all; it is totally FREE! The best part about is that you can use your Microsoft given WHS hostname as your email address ([email protected]).

There are many commercial packages out there that can accomplish this task very well and some of them even offer a free version for those of us with little money. However, for easy installation and configuration, I recommend using hMailServer.

hMailServer is very simple to use and offers many of the features that some expensive packages offer at no cost to you. There are even options for setting up webmail access.

Read More

Guest shutrbug

Thanks for the tutorial on setting up hMailServer on WHS. I tried it just now but ran into a snag. I'm on SBC Yahoo, and they block port 25 by default. I sent in the form to opt out of the blocking of port 25, but in the mean time I tried to set up my mail server as a relay. Unfortunately, that didn't work either because they require authentication and SSL, using port 465. I didn't see an option for encryption in the hMailServer configuration screen.

Guest shutrbug

Thanks for the tutorial on setting up hMailServer on WHS. I tried it just now but ran into a snag. I'm on SBC Yahoo, and they block port 25 by default. I sent in the form to opt out of the blocking of port 25, but in the mean time I tried to set up my mail server as a relay. Unfortunately, that didn't work either because they require authentication and SSL, using port 465. I didn't see an option for encryption in the hMailServer configuration screen.

I got AT&T to unblock port 25 and now it's working fine. Thanks for the tutorial.

That is good news. I originally had my hMailServer passing through port 26 because 25 was blocked for me as well. For future reference, in the settings section of hmailserver you can change the SMTP port to whatever you want. Just make sure you do the same for the client you are attaching with.