3 Done

4 Credits

What you will need

Command Prompt

nLite: Locating Windows Installation

nLite: Task SelectionCommand Prompt

nLite

Your original Windows Home Server DVD

A blank DVD and ISO burning software like ImgBurn (Freeware) or USB Stick.

What to Do

Create the following folders: whs-extract and whs-tmp (I made them in my C: drive, but you can use other drive(s) if you wish).

Open the Command Prompt and extract all of the WHS installation files to C:\whs-extract with xcopy.

xcopy cdrom:\*.* /s /e /f C:\whs-extract\
(change cdrom: to the appropriate drive letter). Copy the contents of the SVR_2003 folder to C:\whs-tmp with xcopy.
xcopy C:\whs-extract\SVR_2003\*.* /s /e /f C:\whs-tmp\

Run nLite, click Next, then point to C:\whs-tmp\

Click Next, twice more.

Click on Drivers and Bootable ISO, then click Next.

Click on Insert and single driver folder. Select the proper textmode (DOS) drivers.

I used the drivers from my motherboard CD. I find those the best for slipstreaming anyway. My drivers location on the CD are: Z:\Drivers\Chipset\Makedisk\DOS\32bit\ Yours may differ, but make sure you are using the 32 bits DOS versions! (the ones you normally need a floppy for).

You can use other drivers too (like sound, gfx, ect.). But I like to do that after the install of my WHS, most of the time WHS downloads and installs the drivers by itself. The LAN drivers might be needed to be able to connect to the internet. So I suggest adding those too with nLite.

Click Next and Yes, wait a little and click Next again.

Change the Mode to Create Image and the Label to CC1HEVL_EN and click Explore.

Move the contents of the whs-tmp folder back to whs-extract\SVR_2003\ (overwrite all or delete all the files/folders first).

Note: If you are using a USB stick you are done here. You don't need the ISO. Just copy the contents of c:\whs-extract to the USB stick and boot from that.

Move the entire contents of whs-extract back to whs-tmp\

For some reason the WHS Pre-Installer (The installer before the usual DOS/Blue screen) doesn't pick up the drive by itself. I've tested this on several systems, for some it work, for others it won't. The solution to this is simple: Copy the DOS drivers folder to whs-tmp\ so you are able to select them when the installer can not find the drivers by itself. You can rename the folder if you wish. (I'm not sure why this problem occurs, but I'm investigating this).

Return to nLite and click Make ISO, select a folder where to save the ISO, rename it to something you like and click Save.

Click Next and then exit nLite.

Done

Burn the image to a blank DVD (using ImgBurn) or use a USB Stick.

Credits

(GaMeR) took this info from the Microsoft Windows Home Server forum. The original thread can be found here. SME has done a great job showing me to the right direction. However, his tutorial was a bit sloppy, so I made it a bit simpler for people who will do this for the first time. I hope my contribution on slipstreaming WHS answers some questions.

DO NOT USE UNATTENDED OR OTHER OPTIONS! I'VE NOT TESTED THESE AND WHS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A UNATTENDED INSTALL ANYWAY!