CEOs who can unblock their own sink don't need a dedicated class of plumbers
This is a trivial nothing of a question, and sort of a big question for LO as a whole
There's been a valid conversation (LO3, BBQ Kid: State of LO3) about the purpose of LO3, it's identity, and its future. This post is not to discuss that issue. For further details on that conversation, or to contribute to that conversation, please go back to State of LO3.
This post simply follows from a joyfully geeky idea that BBQ voiced in chat: "I was thinking about starting an alliance called 'The B-Ark' for those of us who meet the requirements". The B-Ark is a Hitch Hikers' Guide to the Galaxy (H2G2) reference. If you don't already know the reference, you can follow the H2G2 link to wikipedia for its explanation.
A, I love naming things. It's great fun. It's trivial, it's a game.
B, By asking the trivial question, some really interesting real issues emerge about choosing your identity.
Taken together, this is a perfect hook for my limited attention span...
So, I love H2G2 beyond reason, but I might have issues with "starting a new alliance" without great care and consideration.
1) Even if it sounds retarded, I'm "LO Till I Die" far as I'm concerned. Loyal to a fault. I owe a lot to the alliance, I've given a fair bit (in my way) to LO3, and I'd really want to keep the LO logo on my keep design. (Side issue, when-the-frack are we going to enforce the logo? It was a great idea!) So... if there was a new branch, I'd be keen to see a branch called: The Leftovers _____. The Leftovers B-Ark could fit that format.
2) B-Ark? I love the reference, but I'm not sure of the implications. Th B-Ark contained the useless 1/3 of the population of the planet Golgafrincham. Middle management. Telephone sanitisers... That's not me, and that's not us. I'm a semi-active cav breeder, for donation. That makes me a plumber, or an electrician. We're the bottom (useful) 1/3, not the middle (inane) 1/3. In this, here at AoE CS, I'm working class. I do the dirty job so high-fliers can concentrate on earning crowns. Surely? I'm not a telephone sanitiser, or a bored Tri-D TV executive? Geeking aside, it is also understood that a high-functioning competitive alliance should be made up of mutually co-operative heroes. Fighting many times a day, and donating to each other as well. CEOs who can unblock their own sink don't need a dedicated class of plumbers, and it may be correct for us plumbers to step aside.
3) But how to define and name the casual branch? Not apologetically, not as useless, just not flashy and fancy! It may be correct for us casuals to step out of the stream, but let's do it with honour. A band of merchants, plumbers, and adventurers. First tier NPCs to the heroic protagonist efforts of our LO brothers and sisters.
4) If LO5 is competitive training, let the 'New LO' be an exclusive gang of LO supporters who can be called up for support-duty when required by any LO alliance. A 'support class' in training. A way to play casually, AND contribute.
5) So how do you name it? How might it be defined and honoured?
= The Leftovers B
= The Leftovers: B-Ark
= The Leftovers: Golgafincham (makes a more ambiguous ref to H2G2, not saying who was more useful)
= The Leftovers: Support
= The Leftovers Fringe
= The Leftovers Casuals
= The Leftovers Reserves
= The Leftovers Territorials (the Territorial Army, TA, is the reserve semi-pro army in Britain)
= The Leftovers: R&G are Dead (another geek ref: Tom Stoppard, Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. Bit characters from Shakespeare's Hamlet, shown to have a confusing life of their own, outside the main narrative)
This is a trivial nothing of a question, and sort of a big question for LO as a whole....