Sign in to follow this  
Frosty

Frosty Needs Help

Well, so far so good. No PCI cards are in.

TF2 is awesome. I'm "badmrfrosty00044" gman. Hit me up in game.

I added you to my friends list.

More problems.....

1) System freezes if it sits idle for too long. I come back and the screensaver is frozen up, gotta press restart. I turned off screen saver and when I come back the desktop is frozen up.

2) I can't defrag. It gets to like 3% and locks up the same as when it sits idle.

The system freezing up after idle has always happened, I just figured it was always linked to the blue screen problems. And on the note of blue screens, it happened again.... :( I put the sound card in a few days ago, since it ran a week or so without any blue screens. Only one so far....

Any ideas on it locking up while it sits idle. It acts fine so long as I'm using it...

Well, since the blue screen and the freezing upon being idle seems to each point towards bad RAM, I ran Memtest.

Link: http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

I got an error via MemTest "copying between ## and ##" did not result in an accurate copy. I'm going to remove a stick and run MemTest again, and repeat until I find the bad stick. And then maybe move that stick around and see what happens.

Any thoughts?

What are the specs on the memory and the PC requirements?

Link to RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145034

Link to CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115003

Link to MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813130081

So I ran MemTest on each stick of RAM, and nothing popped up. So I put em both back in and nothing popped up either. I'm gonna let it run overnight and see if it picks up anything again...

When I had single sticks in, I tested the defrag and it still locks up...

I'd imagine another reformat might fix the problem, but I really don't feel like it. And it appears that so long as MemTest is running, my PC won't lock up idleing, so I'm prolly just gonna start up MemTest whenever I leave it idle : /

Edited by Frosty

Have you checked the timings on the RAM?

Link to RAM speeds:

http://www.filebox.vt.edu/users/jestephe/RAM.JPG

I downloaded this program to get that info.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

I need to send off the mail in rebate by Thursday.... Thanks for the help..

In the summary for NewEgg it says it should be at 800Mhz?!? I'm guessing 400Mhz is wrong? Or is it 400Mhzx2 == 800Mhz?

Edited by Frosty

Are you running XP or Vista?

XP and all the latest updates from Microsoft Update

Norton Antivirus

Quite a few games =)

Office

I ran MemTest with all 2 gigs in overnight, and nothing popped up. System did not lock up while running MemTest. System still locks up while on screen saver and while idling without screensaver. System still locks up while 3% into Defrag. I started up the pinball game that comes with windows and left the system running that during lunch, so we'll see if it's locked up when i get back home.

Edited by Frosty

I don't have a clue what it might be.

I know I'd dump Norton though. Resource HOG that it usually is.

Can you defrag in safe mode? Using the Windows defrag? Or some other program? I like Diskkeeper myself.

I was talking with UVA last night, and he mentioned trying to defrag in safe mode, and just seeing if it freezes up while in safe mode.

I had been using the windows defrag. I'm heading back to VT for the BC game tonight =) I'll post back on Sunday night and yet yall know how Safe Mode worked out for me.

(Leaving the Pinball game running didn't help at all.)

Edited by Frosty

Damn Hokies. Pissed me off they let BC win that game.

Well safe mode seemed to fix the freezing while on the screen saver, but it didn't fix the system defrag.

UVA had mentioned doing the repair of windows, but i've never done that before and the sound of that never seemed as if it would actually fix anything. It sounds as if the freezing might be a software thing, and that I can try this diskeeper instead of the windows defragger.

Would the repairing windows be a good idea? Would I lose programs that I've got installed? I found the diskeeper site, is there a free download?

THANKS

Do you have any programs running in the background that continuously check themselves or check other programs?

If a program is trying to write to the HDD it will stop the Defrag every time!

Doing a repair to windows could possibly fix your problem. If you have a file that is missing or corrupted a repair could fix that!

Curiosity, if you stay on the computer and continue using it does not lockup?

How long before it locks up at idle?

First, let me say that the windows repair fixed things.

Second, an answer to the above post:

Norton // Steam I think are the only things that I've added that would run in the background. I never tried turning off Norton, but I've had Norton on previous computers and never had to manually disable before a defrag.

I could use the computer for several hours (running BF1942, Hitman, Orange Box, browsing the net, MemTest) and she never missed a beat.

I never thought to look at the time that I left it, and then look at the time at which it locked up. I'd guestimate anywhere from 5-15 minutes.

Finally,

After the repair, I had a little trouble getting IE and windows update to cooperate and download SP 2. But I finally did, and I was able to sit with the computer for 20minutes on the screen saver and no freezy. I also went through a defrag without a hitch.

Yay!

Thanks again for all input and advice. Who else is getting COD 4 on Tuesday?

I might actually go get it... I don't run windows anymore though... so, that might be an issue.

your Linux fails again :lol: