Sign in to follow this  
Frosty

Frosty Needs Help

I figured I'd start a new thread for helping me build the system that's in the topic below this one.

I have everything that bigballs suggested except for the video card, got something very similar due to the one he suggested was no longer being carried by newegg.

So I've got everything in, powered her up, and only a few things happened...

A) Blue light in power supply came on.

B) All fans started spinning (CPU fan, 2 case fans, 1 video card fan)

C) Yellow and Green lights on MOBO came on.

D) Power light on case came on.

And that's it. HD not doing anything, and DVD not doing anything.

There is nothing plugged into the Master IDE cable. I have the DVD/CD plugged into the Slave. The hard drive is a SATA so i have him plugged into one of the SATA jacks. (I like how the HD isn't in the IDE cable)

Monitor says it's not getting any info.

I don't have the sound card or network card in there yet. Figured I'd start out with the least amount of stuff that could possibly go wrong. I figured the DVD rom would at least open and close simply because it's getting power, but that could be a wrong guess.

Should the DVD rom at least open and close?

Should the DVD be in the master IDE?

Anything special I need to do in regards to the HD being SATA?

Thanks again!

Frosty

Still not working but..

I was using the "legacy" power input for the hard drive. I'm now using the SATA power input. Doing that, I can now hear the HD start up, and when I hold in the power button for 6 seconds and turn it off, I can hear the HD stop. The LED light for the HD activity comes on for a second when I start the thing up, but doesn't blink ever again afterwards.

I've taken the DVD/CD-ROM out. So there is nothing plugged into IDE1 or IDE2. I've just got..

Power Supply

MOBO

Ram

CPU

CPU Fan

Hard Drive

Video Card

The video card only has the digital output, but it came with a little converter to get to the analog. So I've got the monitor plugged in through that. Also, my keyboard is a USB keyboard, and the caps/num lock lights aren't coming on when I plug that in. Do I need a PS2 keyboard to boot this thing up?

Thanks

Frosty

Edited by Frosty

Crisis Averted!!!

Well, after sitting up till like 2am not being able to go to sleep for fear of my CPU or MOBO or GPU being busted (that CPU fan is a hoss, I couldn't believe how big that thing was, putting it on was pretty nutz and I didn't want to take it off in defeat) I had a pretty nice laugh when I was able to solve my own problem!

HOWEVER, I will be sufficiently bored at work today, so I think a game of "what did Frosty forget to do" is appropriate.

Thanks for listening =)

Frosty

Sorry I didnt catch you in time but I am glad all worked out for you.

Can you please let us know what the problem was when you were installing every thing and what order you did it in so future refrences might help to eliminate some one else having the same issues.

And oh ya how is she running and at what speeds? Do you like the suggestions I made and so on for the comp choices. any regrets with her. after you have her together for awhile let us know how she games as well.

It must've been a problem with the muffler bearings. Would be my guess.

Everything was fairly easy...once you provide power to the CPU.

Monitor: Very nice, love it so far. I'm used to a 15'' lappy.

Case: Nice and heavy. Blue LED lights realllly bright. Says "toolless" but a Phillips is needed. Took off the air funnel so the CPU fan would fit. I didn't use any screws for the HD and DVD/CD ROM, those were pretty tight. Used the screws for the Graphics and PCI cards.

Installation:

Put MOBO in case. Realized that the CPU fan needed a piece below the MOBO, so took out MOBO and put that on.

Put in the power supply.

Put in the CPU.

Put in the RAM.

Put on the CPU fan.

Put in DVD/CD ROM.

Put in HD.

Connected the 24slot (i think it's 24) power to the MOBO.

Connected the 2 case fans to the MOBO.

Connected the CPU fan speed control, and then connected to the MOBO.

Connected power and IDE cable to the DVD/CD ROM.

Connected "legacy" power to the HD, and connected the SATA cable to the MOBO.

Connected all the (the D-word) case front in crap (LEDs, power, restart, headphone, mic, usb, etc.)

That was a pain, case instructions suck, doubt I got them all correct.

Put in the Video Card, and put in the extra little power thing from the power supply.

Pressed the button and all the lights/fans started up but no HD and no DVDROM. Plugged in the SATA power cable from the power supply and then I could hear the HD moving, but still nothing on screen, and no DVDROM. Looked thru the MOBO instructions, and saw the bit about the CPU needing juice, so I hooked that and she started right up.

In the bios setup I had it load the optimized configuration, then I told it to boot from the DVDROM. Formatted the HD and got Windows up and running.

Once windows was up, I installed the MOBO drivers. When I was installing a MOBO utility, it gave me an error about needing stuff from Windows. So I installed the wireless card (didn't realize there's a built-in ethernet card) and now I'm downloading SP2 and the like.

Plans from here are to:

Get windows up to par

Install MOBO utilities

Video Drivers

Sound Card and Drivers

Norton Antivirus

Then I believe she's done. She's showing the correct CPU Ghz and RAM in the properties of "My Computer."

Have I missed anything?

Thanks again all. You da man Balls.

I am glad that your new computer is up and running and you have a place like COD that you can come to and trust our suggestions for you.

I hope to see you on some gamming sites soon. If I can ever get the time.

My work is going into another outage back toso it will be working 12 hours 6 days a week untill DEC.

Got everything installed last night, and she's really sweet. Knocks the socks off my 4yr old Dell lappy.

Once I get home later tonight I'll post a few questions about the OCing utility that it came with. I'm not looking to squeeze all the speed I can out of the thing, but I'd like to be a bit more educated about the generic do's and don'ts of OCing.

So, what games you gonna play on that beast? I think everyone should get the new HL2 which comes with Team Fortress 2. That way we can start a clan.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/orangebox/default.asp

Well, sadly, I still have the WoW account. Which, on this new puter, is like a completely new game. What used to take me 5-6 minutes or so now takes all of 5-6 seconds. The graphics I used to run were on all the lowest settings, now i'm using all the highest settings. Only reason I got into that game because it was one of the fewer "new" games that my old lappy could stomach. And sadly I am still a bit addicted, now that I can actually play the game with more than 5fps doesn't help stop the addiction.

I minimized and reopened the game like 5 times in a row as if it were a webpage. Which was nutz.

I finally ran TacOps last night with all of the highest settings also, that was fun =).

So while the new pretty colors on those 2 are fun, I had aimed on doing all this by the time COD 4 came out. That looks pretty cool. I was also looking forward to what would follow Battlefield 2, but i hear that the newest Battlefield: 2142 comes with all kinds of Spyware and the like.

I've always heard of the Half Life stuff, mainly Counter Strike. Don't know much about what those games are about. Any demo's to download?

I'll have a few OCing and monitor refresh rate questions when I get settled in tonight. My lappy was restricted to 60Hz. I'm guessing more is better, but to what extent, and why would anyone run a lower refresh rate?

Keep checking back, I'm sure I'll find some more questions to get back on par with how a real machine behaves.

Viva la COD!

TF2 has good multi, not so sure about the HL's. Although, the game itself is awesome. I plan on picking it up tonight. My local stores were sold out yesterday, but have more copies today.

I got it just a few minutes ago, along with a Hitman Package =)

Post back if you're able to nab it, and we can beat some peeps up tonight.

Monitor Question: I can pick 59hz, 60hz, or 75hz. Does it matter? I think it's on 60hz right now and I think it looks fine.

Some info from a utility that came with the mobo:

CPU

Temp: 20degC

FSB: 266 Mhz

CPU: 2399Mhz

VGA

T: 54degC

GPU Clock: 607Mhz

Mem Clock: 1008Mhz

How do those look?

That's with the "AV" settings, idleing maybe 5 minutes after i've started her up. There's a "Game" setting that can boost up those numbers a bit. I dunno how much is too much.

Edited by Frosty

I picked it up last night. I think my screenname is Gdog672 or something like that.

BSOD:

IRQL not less than or equal

Happened this morning when I turned it off. Now, it won't go past the windows loading screen in normal mode. It loads up OK in safe mode.

It had happened once before, but I didn't think much of it cause I was putting new stuff on it, thought it'd work itself out.

Reading online, it seems to be some form of memory problem, I'm running Memtest right now...

Edited by Frosty

Have you gone to Windows Update and gotten all the updates? Including SP2?

Its either memory or possibly a corrupt page file.

Yeah I got all the windows updates before I installed anything else (except for the Video Drivers).

The Memtest didn't find anything after running for a few hours. Some other sites said it might have something to do with some pci cards getting mixed up in the things, so I'm taking out my network and sound card. If that doesn't work, then i'll mess with moving the RAM around. If that doesn't work, i'll reformat and see what happens.

UPDATE:

Took out sound and network card to no avail. I also took out one of the RAM sticks. It'll load up in SAFE mode just fine. It still won't get past the loading screen in windows. I'm defragging now, not really sure why. I guess i'll try moving around that RAM stick if it goes thru the defrag ok and still won't load in normal mode.

UPDATE: NEED HELP WITH

Reading about IRQ's getting mixed up, i went to the device manager and did a "view resources by type" and found several IRQ's to be used several times. Anyone have any experience or knowhow with this IRQ business? Anyone else have IRQ's being used twice? My lappy does, but none are the same as the video card. Link below shows how it could be something to do with video...

http://www.opentechsupport.net/forums/show...?threadid=37603

http://www.blamonet.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-84033.html

Thanks fellas

Edited by Frosty

IRQ's can be used by multiple devices.

Don't use PCI slot 1, its usually shared with your video card.

Check the mobo manual there should be an IRQ table there that can point you to what PCI slots are shared and where.

Try to get your sound card on its own channel and use the onboard ethernet connection.

I had the wireless card in PCI 1.

The MOBO manual doesn't have alot of terminology that I can really comprehend.

I was going to run the system for a few days without a soundcard and without the wireless card, and see what happens.

Thanks RB!

ZOMG Bad MR Frosty

In line with the original post... I am guessing that you didn't connect the 4 pin connector required by newer motherboards.

Sign in to follow this