Sign in to follow this  
Bruceleeon

New HTPC

So, I used the stuff I got from balls and built my HTPC. Right now, It is sitting in the Antec 900 that I am reviewing. The only problem is, I don't want to spend the money on Media Center Edition of XP, and I don't really know what software to use yet.

I have Media Portal and it seems to be the best so far. i have played with Nero crap and some others and they all pretty much suck so far.

i tried out media center XP and didn't like it that much

media center for vista blows it out of the water

So, I used the stuff I got from balls and built my HTPC. Right now, It is sitting in the Antec 900 that I am reviewing. The only problem is, I don't want to spend the money on Media Center Edition of XP, and I don't really know what software to use yet.

I have Media Portal and it seems to be the best so far. i have played with Nero crap and some others and they all pretty much suck so far.

What tuner card are you using?

SageTV is probably the best. Beyond TV is pretty good also.

They all work better when patrnered with MCE.

I dont use MCE and have been using the software that came with my Haupauge PVR-350 and HVR-1600

Its pretty basic but it works.

No tuner... in fact, after all that testing, I decided on Media Portal for my front end. Everything else everyone recommended sucked in comparison.

Everything else everyone recommended sucked in comparison.

HEHE!! :D

No tuner... in fact, after all that testing, I decided on Media Portal for my front end. Everything else everyone recommended sucked in comparison.

Are you going to do a Article/Guide for Media Portal?

So you're only using your HTPC to view DVD's and pics?

A Tuner Card would increase the capabilities of your system immensely!

PVR functions alone are worth the $80 - 130 cost! I still have a VCR but I dont use it anymore!

I have a dedicated HTPC for recording TV daily and a 2nd Tuner card in my main rig to record any special programs I may want to keep and/or burn to a disc!

101_2959.jpg

I had thought about the PVR function, but it doesn't mean much to me because of digital cable and their ondemand features. All the shows I watch are on there, if they aren't, I don't feel like I missed anything. Basically, the use of the HTPC was for pics, vids (streaming my dvd collection), dvd's, music, and internet. I have since removed everything from my living room because my xbox does all that for me and takes up less space.

That case you have there is really expensive... what was the driving force behind purchasing it?

Digital Cable and Sattelite TV makes it difficult to use PVR functions without MCE and a 3rd party IR blaster program to get the STB to change channels for each program being recorded!

I only have 1 STB and use analog cable in the rest of the house. I'd love to dump Charter Cable but it would cost me more to convert to sattelite and make it difficult to record LOST, Traveler, The Nine, etc...

Being a 2nd shifter I rely on recorded TV!

Theres so much i would miss without my PVR!

First reason for the OrigenAE X15e is no need for a Monitor! Second being the touch screen!

I have 2 sets of inputs on TV(besides the standard cable input)

I use one for TV out from the Video card, Desktop functions.

The other is used for the TV out from the Hauppauge Tuner card.

You're right it was expensive, but the case is the centerpiece of the system!

I spent more on the case than I did the rest of the system!

Specs....

ABIT NF7-S R2

AMD 2500 Barton

1G Memory

Nvidia 5200 (PCI)

Hauppauge PVR-350

40G Seagate Boot Drive and 320 Seagate for storage.

OrigenAE X15e

Eventually I will update the system and it will become the centerpiece of a true Home Theater!

Once I get my 50" Plasma :D(Hopefully for Christmas)

My idea of a true htpc would include a wireless keyboard and mouse, and nix the touchscreen. I should never be close enough to use it unless i am loading a DVD. Even then, my "in front" time would be as long as it takes to open the drawer and close it. MCE and the remote are nice, but i don't know how well it works. That is why I like my xbox as a center piece. My harmony remote controls it very nicely

My idea of a true htpc would include a wireless keyboard and mouse, and nix the touchscreen. I should never be close enough to use it unless i am loading a DVD. Even then, my "in front" time would be as long as it takes to open the drawer and close it. MCE and the remote are nice, but i don't know how well it works. That is why I like my xbox as a center piece. My harmony remote controls it very nicely

I use a wireless keyboard that has a joystick controller for mouse functions. Its a so so board but it works fine and suits its purpose.

I can't stand trackballs.... I look like an epeliptic trying to use one.

Lol don't kid yourself, you look like that all the time. :D

I can't stand trackballs.... I look like an epeliptic trying to use one.

Its not a track ball, its a thumb operated joystick!

http://www.btc.com.tw/english/news_15.htm

Thats clever... how does that work for you? Most of the old school gamers might get confused, the left and the right sides are a bit far apart!! LOL

Thats clever... how does that work for you? Most of the old school gamers might get confused, the left and the right sides are a bit far apart!! LOL

For HTPC use its fine! I dont think I'd suggest using it for gaming.

Its original intention is for HTPC usage!

As for the operational distance the 3M it states is way understated! I can use it at 25-30' not in line of sight and probably further in line of sight!