Sign in to follow this  
Bad_Mr_Frosty

Hey!

Sup Fellas,

Good to see yall are still around! I've graduated and am going to finally have some money for a new desktop. Been on my dell lappy piece of joy for 4 years now, had to give up tac cause the warranty went out, and tac had a history of killing my moboard. Five or so years ago I might have had a clue as to what's a good price, and who's better than who for components, but today I'm clueless. I had talked to Bruce and Gman last summer a bit about it, but now I'm serious.

I'm hoping to be able to build something here in the next month or two. Was hoping for some advice. Only going to use the new machine for games, I don't do any video editing or such.

THANKS,

Frosty

Edited by Bad_Mr_Frosty

Hey Mr. Frosty! How much money are you willing to spend? And how bad ass do you want your rig?

I could do a little research for ya if you would like.

Are you willing to build it yourself?

Is it going to be JUST a GAMING rig! or other small stuff here and their as well?

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Shoppi...bmit=ChangeItem

LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model LH-16W1P-364 - Retail

Item #: N82E16827106075

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$27.99

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Item #: N82E16811119068

$49.99

Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Item #: N82E16822136033

Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy

Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $29.99 1 Year Service Net 1 Peripheral Extended Plan -- $39.99 2 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $39.99 2 Year Service Net 1 Peripheral Extended Plan -- $49.99 3 Year Service Net 1 Peripheral Extended Plan -- $59.99

-$5.00 Instant

$20.00 Mail-in Rebate

$159.99

$154.99

XFX PVT84GUDE3 GeForce 8600GTS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

Item #: N82E16814150227

Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $39.99 1 Year Service Net 1 Peripheral Extended Plan -- $39.99 2 Year Service Net 1 Peripheral Extended Plan -- $49.99 2 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $59.99 3 Year Service Net 1 Peripheral Extended Plan -- $59.99

$30.00 Mail-in Rebate

$209.99

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply - Retail

Item #: N82E16817341002

Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $29.99 2 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $39.99

-$10.00 Instant

$35.00 Mail-in Rebate

$149.99

$139.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

Item #: N82E16819115003

Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $39.99 2 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $59.99

$224.90

ZALMAN 9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

Item #: N82E16835118019

Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $14.99 2 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $19.99

-$20.00 Instant

$79.99

$59.99

MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Item #: N82E16813130081

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - Retail

Item #: N82E16820145034

I would do everything on that list but the mobo. Go with the Asus P5B Flavored model and the 965 chipset. The p35 just came out which supports DDr3; that means the others should drop in price over the next couple of weeks.

I just bought that video card too. That exact card... it is a great bang for buck deal. I am benchmarking it now and it makes a considerable difference over my 6800. 3dmark03 was over 18,000 points. (rig isn't OC'd right now)

Thanks for the replies, was just what I was looking for. I'm looking for something around $1000-$1200, and just badass enough that I would finally get out of the lower end performing PC's (and if 1000-1200 gets me higher, the better!). I threw in all the stuff in Newegg and came to just a hair over $1000 after the mail-in rebates.

And yeah I'd like to give building a computer another shot. My first experience involved a motherboard being DOA, and having the hard drive fail an hour or so after we loaded windows. CDROM never felt like doing what we told it to either.

After I start work here in 2 weeks I'll see what happens and order some parts.

Thanks for the help

Frosty

FROSTY!!!!

You are more than welcome, Mr. Frosty glad we could help you.

I forgot to ask about one crucial piece...a monitor

Looking for a flatscreen, something bigger than my lappy (15''), and spend ~$200

I'd rather have something a bit smaller that looks great as opposed to something larger that looks ok. Something good for gaming.

After this I'll get to buying, building, and whooping your arses again

Thanks a bunch fellas!

Frosty

Hey Mr. Frosty, the bigger the screen is not always better but the bigger you can go with the best ms responce time is the way you want to go less ghosting.

LCD Monitors

Click Here for more information on LCD Monitors in our Learning Center

LCD monitors have distinct size and power advantages over past and present display choices. Plasma monitors do not come in desktop sizes, and represent higher costs, weight, and energy consumption. Most homes and offices use monitors between 15 to 20 inches, though larger widescreen monitors increase productivity at work and enjoyment of games and movies at home.

Pros and Cons

LCD Monitors are thin, lightweight and easy to move, and some are wall-mountable, getting them completely off your desk, providing drastically greater options for work or play. Adjustable monitor stands also offer increased ergonomics. LCD monitors have a steadier, flicker-free picture, causing far less eyestrain, and are a blessing to users who spend long hours at their screens.

What should you consider before purchase?

LCD monitors are currently available in a variety of screen sizes. A larger viewing area will often provide support for higher resolutions, which translate into more on the screen at once. LCD screen sizes are measured in inches along the diagonal of the screen.

Native resolution is the maximum resolution (detail level, in pixels) an LCD monitor can support. A monitor provides the best viewing experience when working in its native resolution.

Aspect ratio is the width to height proportion of a display. Non-widescreen LCDs have an aspect ratio of 5:4, similar to a standard television set’s aspect ratio of 4:3. Widescreen LCDs boast 16:9 or 16:10 dimensions to better display movie formats.

The response time is the speed at which an LCD monitor’s pixels change from one color to the next and back again. Response time is measured in ms (milliseconds). The quicker an LCD monitor’s response time, the less likelihood there is for ghosting or after images appearing when displaying fast-paced images (games and movies). We recommend 8ms or better for high-performance gaming and multimedia applications.

Brightness (luminosity) is often measured in candelas or cd/m2. Most LCD monitors today can provide over 200 cd/m2, which is more than sufficient for normal use. Games and movies may benefit from somewhat higher brightness levels. A higher contrast ratio allows a monitor to provide a greater range of dark and light details.

Viewing angle is the greatest angle (horizontal or vertical) from which a user can view an LCD screen at an acceptable image quality. A wide viewing angle enables a group of people to view the screen at once or enables a user with greater viewing flexibility.

LCD monitors are usually equipped with one or two types of connectors for connecting to your PC. D-Sub Connectors transfer analog signals and are still very popular as they are compatible with most video cards. DVI Connectors transfer a video card’s digital output directly for a superior signal. The DVI connector is mainstream equipment on newer video cards and on an increasing number of new LCD monitors.

I have a the same screen and love it but if you want to spend more money you can get as low as 2MS resonce time which is outstanding.

here is a 2ms responce time samsung which is awsome http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824001094

SAMSUNG 906BW Black 19" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2000:1 DC - Retail

Windows Vista Certified

Image Viewer (View All)

Original Price: $229.99

You Save: $10.00

$219.99

($199.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate)

Free 3 Business Day Shipping

(Not available in HI, AK and PR)

In Stock

Protect Your Investment

Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $39.99 1 Year Service Net 1 Peripheral Extended Plan -- $39.99 2 Year Service Net 1 Peripheral Extended Plan -- $49.99 2 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $59.99 3 Year Service Net 1 Peripheral Extended Plan -- $59.99

Extended warranty is not available for items combined with a free gift.

Special Offers

No Payments for 6 Months on purchases of $500 or more with your Newegg.com Preferred Account!

Click here for important disclosures

No Payments for 90 Days On purchases over $250with Bill Me Later®!

Manufacturer Warranty

Beyond any applicable Newegg return policy, this item is warranted independently by the product's Manufacturer. Below is a summary provided for convenience only and may not be accurate or current. Click here for full details.

Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (parts): 3 years

Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (labor): 3 years

Manufacturer Contact Info

Manufacturer Product Page

Support Phone Number: 800-726-7864

Support Website

View other products from SAMSUNG

Return Policies

This item is covered by Newegg.com's [LCD] Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy.

Return for refund within: non-refundable

Return for replacement within: 30 days

There must be a minimum of 8 dead pixels to declare an LCD display defective and eligible for return.

Mail-In Rebates

Receive a $20 Mail in Rebate from SAMSUNG! Expires on 9/30/2007

View All Mail-In Rebate Policy Information » This Samsung Widescreen LCD Monitor offers razor-sharp, widescreen image clarity and a host of innovative features. A wider viewing angle and 16.7 million brilliant colors will amaze you with the clear, life-like images this monitor offers. The 906BW has a remarkable 0.285-mm pixel pitch (distance between pixels), and a 2000:1 dynamic contrast ratio for excellent clarity.

Samsung's MagicColor improves and adjusts mid-level colors to shades that the eye accepts as natural. MagicBright creates an optimal viewing environment, based on the image you're watching, and MagicTune is Samsung's OSD (On-Screen Display) solution that provides a simple, convenient adjustment to the image quality.

The 906BW features an advanced dual interface capable of handling both analog and digital video signals. It works with all major operating systems (including Microsoft Vista's Premium), and has a 2ms response time that virtually eliminates the "blur" found in 25, 16, and 12ms monitors. Whether you’re working, enjoying your photos and videos, or gaming, you won't believe your eyes when you see the stunning color and clarity of the 906BW.

5 75% 4 19% 3 2% 2 2% 1 2% Total Reviews: 110

Read More Reviews - Write a ReviewGreat purchase

Reviewed By: Will in Illinois on 4/23/2007 Tech Level: somewhat high - Ownership: 1 day to 1 week

Pros: I purchased two of these monitors to replace both a 17" CRT and a 15" LCD flat panel. The new monitors set up easily and there were no dead pixels. The color and brightness are far better than any other LCD I've seen. Because the screens have a matte anti-reflective finish they are even easier to read in direct sunlight than my old CRT was (with its glass screen). The clarity is excellent. I was initially worried about running them at the recommended resolution (higher than anything I've used before), but I can read web sites from my seat (eyes 4 feet away from the screen) without adjusting the text size.

Cons: There were a few minor nuisances with these monitors. The first, of course, is that they came with the analog cables but no digital cables. I went ahead and ordered DVI cables when I checked out from newegg. Still, Samsung could do better. Also, the monitors have a severely limited tilt range. They won't tilt up more than 20 degrees, and they won't tilt down at all. If you are sitting with the monitors placed above eye level (as I am) or can't otherwise view them head-on, you will miss subtle color differences. It's no problem for me, but it would be a problem for graphic design, photoshop, etc. Finally... the 2000:1 contrast ratio is a dynamic contrast ratio, meaning that the monitor changes the pixel coloration and the brightness of the backlight in close synchronization to achieve maximum contrast. Sometimes, when the screen image changes quickly from bright to dark (as with video), you can see the monitor trying to adjust the backlight. It can be slightly distracting

Other Thoughts: I am very happy with these monitors and a few minor quibbles are to be expected, especially with dynamic contrast technology which is fairly new. If I had to make this decision again, I would purchase these monitors again.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you?

Perfect Gaming - Blurry Text

Reviewed By: DB on 5/31/2007 Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 week to 1 month

Pros: Colors are vibrant and crisp...so much so I had to turn the brightness down to 34. Great for guild Wars...no ghosting or pic lag whatsoever.

Cons: For those with NVIDIA cards be aware that if your text is blurry and fuzzy, you must go into the Nvidia control panel and define the resolution to 1440 x 900 at 60hz. 60hz is native and it will clear your text. Also download Microsoft ClearText Tuner to sharpen more. Like others- the DVI-D cable is not included.

4 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you?

Quick Specs

Model 906BW

Cabinet Color Black

Screen Size 19"

Widescreen Yes

Recommended Resolution 1440 x 900

5ms responce time which is really good http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824116075

ViewSonic Optiquest Series Q20WB Black 20" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 - Retail

Maximize your Windows Vista view

Image Viewer

Original Price: $219.99

You Save: $30.00

$189.99

($169.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate)

3 Business Day Shipping $9.99

(Not available in HI, AK and PR)

In Stock

Protect Your Investment

Extended warranty is not available for items combined with a free gift.

Special Offers

No Payments for 6 Months on purchases of $500 or more with your Newegg.com Preferred Account!

No Payments for 90 Days On purchases over $250with Bill Me Later®!

ViewSonic Optiquest Series Q20WB Black 20" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

Rosewill RCN-SC106 Plasma/LCD screen cleaner (Smaller clearning size) w/ 100ml Solution - Retail

Original price: $203.98

Discount: -$5.00

Combo Price: $198.98

Combo Specials are offered to Newegg.com shoppers as a way to purchase multiple items together at a discounted price... More » . Only one of each Combo Special can be purchased per order. Offers valid only while supplies last. Purchasing multiple units of a Combo Special that features a mail-in rebate will yield only one redeemable rebate offer (per the manufacturer's "limit one per household" provision). Newegg.com cannot guarantee the compatibility of Combo items. Please contact the manufacturer(s) directly if you have issues or concerns regarding compatibility.

* Please note that an item advertised as "free" in a combo special may still incur a shipping charge.

Manufacturer Warranty

Beyond any applicable Newegg return policy, this item is warranted independently by the product's Manufacturer. Below is a summary provided for convenience only and may not be accurate or current. Click here for full details.

Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (parts): 1 year

Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (labor): 1 year

Manufacturer Contact Info

Manufacturer Product Page

Support Phone Number: 800-688-6688

Support Email: service.us@viewsonic.com

Support Website

View other products from ViewSonic

Return Policies

This item is covered by Newegg.com's [LCD] Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy.

Return for refund within: non-refundable

Return for replacement within: 30 days

There must be a minimum of 8 dead pixels to declare an LCD display defective and eligible for return.

Mail-In Rebates

Receive a $20 Mail in Rebate from ViewSonic! Expires on 9/30/2007

View All Mail-In Rebate Policy Information » 5 69% 4 22% 3 3% 2 4% 1 2% Total Reviews: 193

Read all 193 Reviews - Write a ReviewGood for the price!

Reviewed By: Seek the truth on 9/8/2007 Tech Level: average - Ownership: 1 week to 1 month

Pros: Good color, no ghosting, sharp picture, works with Vista 64bit.

Cons: I find that I have to look straight at the screen or the color will be off a little.

Other Thoughts: I don't know how reliable it is. --------------------------------- Intel core 2 duo 6400 2.13GHz 2 GB RAM Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT

Did you find this review helpful?

Very good monitor

Reviewed By: on 9/8/2007 Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 week to 1 month

Pros: No dead pixels, bright display, DVI input.

Cons: Controls are odd and clumsy: buttons are on bottom edge and you push upwards; power button is in middle away from power LED.

Other Thoughts: Overall a very good value for a bright and large widescreen monitor.

Did you find this review helpful?

Ouch

Reviewed By: Red on 9/7/2007 Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 month to 1 year

Pros: No pixels out. Why should there be any pixels out on any quality new product! Customer service was OK.

Cons: First one died -went black- in 31 days, therefore I had to go to Viewsonic (New Egg only warranties 30 days). They sent another one. In 28 days, the color in everything shifted green. Sent this one back. Then Viewsonic says I only get a reconditioned one back (I paid for a new one) although they may specially authorize another new one. I hope third time is the charm, otherwise $200 wasted (stolen). My friend bought the Hanns at the same time and it still looks great.

2 out of 2 people found this review helpful. Did you?

Sign in to follow this