Sign in to follow this  
Bruceleeon

Shopping around

I have been thinking about building another rig with some of the components I have lying around. I have almost enough stuff to build it. I only need a mobo and proc. So, where do I go... tiger has been shooting me a bunch of emails lately about sales and I saw this set: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...46&CatId=14 I have no problem buying an ECS system, in fact.. my server here at the house has been running an ECS KN1 Extreme 24/7 for more than a year now.

It is either buying this stuff, or waiting to upgrade my current rig and use the mobo and proc from that for a new giddup. I have to maintain the current rigs setup for review purposes though. SO that means, I will have to COMPELETLY build a new rig. That will add up to serious moolah. Unless I do what I did last time and build it piece by piece. Water components and all.

I have been thinking about building another rig with some of the components I have lying around. I have almost enough stuff to build it. I only need a mobo and proc. So, where do I go... tiger has been shooting me a bunch of emails lately about sales and I saw this set: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...46&CatId=14 I have no problem buying an ECS system, in fact.. my server here at the house has been running an ECS KN1 Extreme 24/7 for more than a year now.

It is either buying this stuff, or waiting to upgrade my current rig and use the mobo and proc from that for a new giddup. I have to maintain the current rigs setup for review purposes though. SO that means, I will have to COMPELETLY build a new rig. That will add up to serious moolah. Unless I do what I did last time and build it piece by piece. Water components and all.

I'm getting rdy to build a new rig myself. I would consider buying from someone else, Tiger has pretty good pricing but their customer service totally blows IMHO!

I bought a combo from them a few yrs back, It was a few weeks before I put it together and found out the mobo was DOA. Of course I had to send everything back but it took me 3 days of emailing and calling before I could get an RMA! At that time and since then I've read countless stories about their horrible customer service.

Thats just my opinion.

I've been shopping a for a cpl months and have decided to use http://www.chiefvalue.com/

I've bought a cpl smaller items from them, a wireless KB/Mouse combo and 2 DVD-RW drives.

Both came from their warehouse in Tenn. and I'm in Mo. so one order was here in 24hrs the other took 48hrs!

ChiefValues pricing is very competitive, delivery is fast(at least for me it was!)

I cant vouch for their Customer Service but I havent seen too much bad about them.

Take this in mind when you check out their ratings. Some people are never happy!

http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_getreview.php/retid=985

BTW..... SKT 754 is old stuff! Go with AM2!

How much do you want to spend?

For less than $500 you can buy a top of the line AMD AM2 6000 x2 and The ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless or maybe The Crosshair

The Crosshair and 6000 AM2 are in my plans!

http://www.chiefvalue.com/product-_-produc...tem--13-131-593

http://www.chiefvalue.com/product-_-produc...tem--19-103-773

Edited by camaroguy1998

The rig I would build with the 754 mobo would be a "for sale" machine. Not my day to day. If I am going to build a completely new rig, I am probably (gasp) going to build an intel rig. The amd processors aren't on the performance level right now. The 6000 is still on the 90nm process and generates a bunch of heat. The intel E6600 is pounding it in benchmarks, costs only 70 bucks more and puts out much less heat. It is also a 65nm process.

Overall, I might end up buying from myself! http://computingondemand.pgpartner.com/home_comp.php/

Chief Value's price on the E6600 is exactly the same as Neweggs.

Tigerdirect has been good to me for years. I haven't had any issues with them. Recently, I bought three SCSI 10K drives and two were in bad shape. Got RMA's, shipped em back, got new ones. I might be the exception, but they have worked for me.

Yeah Intel has got the power right now! I still like AMD, just personal choice!

My experience with Tiger was in '04, so it's been 3 yrs maybe they've got their act together now!

I have a new moby that might suit your needs I am not going to be using it any time soon so here is what it is,

MSI K8 Neo4

socket 939 64/FX

dual DDR400

PCI Express X16

Gb LAN

7.1 Channel Audio

SATA 1

comunications slot

supports up to 4 sata plus 2 ATA 133 hard drives

The box has been opened but the moby and all other parts have never been removed from the packaging.

I shot you a message so respond to that.

Wow Balls, I can't believe you want to shaft me like that! I thought you were fair.

Just kidding, got your message. Thanks man, you are the man. Balls, we have been trying to get a racing team organized for NFS Carbon, are you going to race with us?

I need to buy the game first then some practice would be the next thing I would have to try.

You never said that you wanted the moby I am offering to you

Yes/No

circle one, so I can mail it out ASAP.

All right all ready I will send it out in 4 days after I get off work. On the 9th or 10th.

Alright I sent off your new moby threw UPS they said it would be around thursday of next week too get to you.

Man are they expensive to ship threw.

Tracking number is 1ZR4916V0325977440

And insured to $300.00 so do what you would like if you think you can work the system then go for it but remember who made it possible.

Has your moby arrived yet?

And are you going to clue use in on what you are going to do with it?

Yeah I got it... it is beautiful! I am going to build my htpc with it. Then rotate the stock around and use this for benchmarking and reviews. Very excited, thanks balls.. YOU DA MAN!~

No problem man at least you are going to use it.

I was also told that you can use a dual processor on it as well you just have to flash the moby first. but I am not sure so research it first.

I am about to order the processor and ram for that system. I am going to order an x2 4200 and rotate the processors around in my shop. That will help me leverage some better computing until I can afford to build my new rig.

(the S-word) new stuff is expencive....

i wanted to build a new rig... had it all planed out

-asus striker extreme

-core 2 duo E6600

-OCZ Flex XLC PC2-6400 2GB

-Silverstone Temjin TJ07-BW

-BFG 8800GTX OC

-seagate 750GB HDD

but that comes to $3600 with SLI 8800's :( even without sli it's too ritc h right now

we'll see what happens close to the end of the summer

*hoping for price drops*

screw the striker... get the p5b. its on the 965 and performs better than the 680's

SO where are the pics of the new rig Bruce I want too see my old board in action with some setting displays of performance on the moby.

I am thinking about setting up a new rig for my self again so I want too see how that board handled the x2 prossesor.

And how much ram and kind you are using?

THe pics are in the Antec 900 review that willb e posted as soon as it is edited....