Sign in to follow this  
Tomek

Win XP + UDMA66

Ok, I have a new WD 320Gb HDD! I enabled ran the SiSoftware Sandra Lite test without UDMA66 enabled and got the following:

Proc: 28396 MIPS and 19234 MFLOPS

HDD: 62Mb/s and 18ms Random Access

I than enabled UDMA66, restared and ran the test again, and I got the following:

Proc: 28106 MIPS and 19034 MFLOPS

HDD: 62Mb/s and 14ms Random Access

What gives :blink: ?! I thought UDMA66 was supposed to enhance your HDD Speed! Mine dropped, along with my Proc speed!?!?

Does your hardware support UDMA66? I assume you edited the regidstry to enable it?

Maybe I missed something.... why would you want to enable UDMA66 on a drive that is most likely ATA 5 or 6 (100 or 133)? Is there some type of performance secret that I didn't know about?

Also, you want your "ms" lower... the lower the better. That is your response time.

Maybe I missed something.... why would you want to enable UDMA66 on a drive that is most likely ATA 5 or 6 (100 or 133)? Is there some type of performance secret that I didn't know about?

Also, you want your "ms" lower... the lower the better. That is your response time.

HOLY CRAP! What was I thinking! you are SO right! Sorry, I lost my mind :blink: !

You are correct, the ms should be lower and I achieved that editing the UDMA66 in the registry! I have this HDD:

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

However, since after enabling UDMA66, I gained 4ms, I'll do that again and let it go! Woohoo!

Sign in to follow this