Sign in to follow this  
Tomek

Overclocking Attempt

The Point: Am I doing this crap correctly?!

Ok, so here is the deal! I just bought all this crap listed below and assembled it: B)

• Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
  • ASUS P5B-E
  • 2GB 1100MHz OCZ RAM
  • HIS Radeon X1900 XT
  • WD 320 7200RPM
Then I Overclocked it as follows:

I lowered the Modifier down to 7 and multiplied it by 440

IMG_2763.jpg

and

IMG_2764.jpg

QUESTION 1: My FSB Speed is 1760MHz... is this good?! Should it be higher?

QUESTION 2: I have increased my MEM voltage to 2.1V initially, but saw no noticable gain, so I lowered it back down to default. Does this give me any advanatage for having it be higher?!

QUESTION 3: I have increased my CPU core voltage to 1.41V but saw no noticable gain and lowered that as well down a couple notches! In fact, the temp of the CPU was higher after i raised it! :rolleyes: Does it help to have the voltage higher?!

Anyone?!

Voltage increases are only needed if your system is unstable. Use them sparingly.

All overclocking IMO should be done in baby steps. Increase clocks in small increments, then test for stability. Use a benchmarking program that will stress the part you're overclocking. I usually use Sandra and Memtest for these.

I'm still kinda old school though (see specs) and haven't kept up with the new tech lately. I'm not at all familiar with the components you're using.

adjusting the voltages won't directly lead to instant OC, once you've upped your FSB and twiddled the multipliers to increase your clocks and you find the point where it just starts to become unstable (boots ok but will crash under stress testing) then you want to adjust your voltage up a little

both increasing your FSB and increasing you voltage will up your cpu temp. you need a good cooler to archive the highest OC (hence why the big OCers use water/pelts/phase-change/L-N2

I'm not a pro at OC so i posted from another log below.....

Let's dive right in to the OC'ing then.

I just want to make sure you understand whats going on with the various bus speeds , so I'll briefly explain :

The 'FSB' that you describe as maxing out @ 1066 Mhz , Isn't actually operating at 1066Mhz.It's quad pumped (4x) 266 Mhz.This is only between the ram and the cpu.

This is where that ratio comes in : The ratio is 3:4 If you take 75% (3/4) of 266 Mhz (the ram bus speed) you get 200 Mhz.This is the cpu bus speed and where you get 3.4 Ghz from.(17x200Mhz)

k....easy stuff over.

Things to be aware of :

The pci bus operates @ 33 Mhz , so it has a divider of 8:1 (at default)

An AGP bus runs @ 66Mhz (4:1)

A pci-x bus runs at 133 Mhz (2:1)

Now bios' are often different , but you want to insure these are locked i.e you are not OC'ing these as well....if not lockable , then you will need ratios on these as well.

Here's the bad news.

If you are running 1066Mhz ddr2 ram (pc-8500 I believe) you are already at the limit of the bus speeds.They don't make ram thats faster.It's usually ram errors that limit the overclock so you are facing a definite ceiling.

That being said.....

Here's what u wanna do :

Back off the ext clock to 200 Mhz.Set the cpu-ram ratio to 1:1 , and start bumping the extclk up.....when it fails , bump up the vcore 1 small increment....try again.....If it works , bump up the extclk.....etc....etc....

Please be careful tho.....I am not sure of the voltage ranges that are safe , I recommend more research on this matter......

Each processor "code name" can handle different voltages. Somthing to remember though... newer procs usually OC poorly. Slower procs can usuallly OC better because they (correct me if I am wrong- they used to do this) produce the higher clocked chips and dummy them down to slower clock speeds. It is cheaper to manu. less and make changes than to manu chips that will operate at a specific speed.

I would google the stepping of your processor to see which you have and what it is capable of.

I tend to shy away from increasing the voltage by much... especially on my ram. Ram seems to be a bit more sensitive to voltage than most people think. You can gain some ram performance actually by dropping the speed a bit and decreasing the latency. My RAM runs at 2,2,2,5 but I am not running DDR 2.

I find my best bang for buck is to increase the bus speeds instead of just going for RAW GHz. I don't normally adjust my votages beyond a few notches.

i don't do any of my over clocking manually...

asus board come with a really well working OC utility (AI booster and AI N.O.S. (booster sets a full time OC while NOS OC's your comp on the fly as you need it))

I've had my P4 630 (3.0 GHz) OC'd to the max that AI booster would go (30% 3.94GHz) and it was stable... i also run my celeronD at 10% (max i could get it... but it was originally 3.2GHz and now runs at 3.52GHz

Cool, so I took your comments under consideration and ran down the voltage as my PC is stable. The temp is around 44 degrees C of the proc and 25 degrees C of the system after running the Sandra test... here are my results! Looks pretty good...

Overclocking Results Page

Also, thanks for the responses :)

Edited by Tomek

Thats a hell of an OC...

Yea, everything isrunning perfectly stable! The only problem is Half Life 2 Episode One started getting flaky, so I had to raise the voltage on the CPU and Mem which solved my problem... but that brought my temp to about 55c idle and a good 63c at peak! So i toned it down to 3.2 GHz and now i'm running peak at 41c!

In any case, i just ordered more lube for my proc... hehehe... (thermal paste) and i'm going to smear it all over myself... i mean my processor and then I'll try and boost it to 3.9GHz again, and see what the temp is like! B)

are you still running the stock heat sink?

MORE lube won't always bring the temp down, the best coating of thermal paste is the thinnest one that you can apply that will fill all the imperfections. so that being said the best way to bring the temp down is with a better HSF with a good lapped (flat is better than shinny) and a good flat processor.

are you still running the stock heat sink?

MORE lube won't always bring the temp down, the best coating of thermal paste is the thinnest one that you can apply that will fill all the imperfections. so that being said the best way to bring the temp down is with a better HSF with a good lapped (flat is better than shinny) and a good flat processor.

actually i'm running this puppy and i'm very satisfied!

35-103-157-02.JPG

The current thermal paste I use is the crap that game with the cooling fan and it was barely enough to cover the processor! I managed to smear it over the whole surface however.

i ordered this:

35-126-003-02.JPG

I personally water cool. Both rigs are cooled by the soft stuff and both work very well. Water has come a long way my friend, with kits aimed at the first timers to those of use who piece things together.

I personally water cool. Both rigs are cooled by the soft stuff and both work very well. Water has come a long way my friend, with kits aimed at the first timers to those of use who piece things together.

I agree, Water Cooling is good, but the whole point for me was to get a super fast system for about $1500.00 and I accomplished this! Water Cooling would have added to the cost!